• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional Level Sticky Toffee Pudding

Qwerty

I'm in search of a restaurant scaled (preferably in weight) and delicious sticky toffee pudding recipe. I have a decent recipe but I would prefer one that is tested repeatedly in a pro. kitchen environment and hopefully is scaled by weight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Toffee sauce recipes would be welcome as well. Thanks all!

Sorry, nothing to offer. I don't do sticky toffee pudding at the restaurant. I've done it for catering jobs when doing dinners for the various entertainers that pass through town as part of the local entertainment series but never needed it in large enough quantities to worry about scaling it or needed it frequently enough to worry about standardizing it to a consistent recipe. If you have a recipe you like, it should be a pretty simple matter to multiply it then scale out the measured ingredients and monitor the bake time the first time through. After that, you'll have your notes for future production.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Seems like thats what I'll have to do. I'm surprised nobody has a workable recipe in larger portions though, oh well. I don't need it to be astronomically big or anything (like, hundreds of portions per batch) but I was hoping to avoid having to scale up a recipe several times cause that doesn't always seem to work.

Thanks though...I'll just test a few recipes and see how it goes.

Since most adjustments to scaling up cake recipes seem to involve the leavening based on pan size, if you're not doing a very large number of pieces you could just mix up a large batch and bake it in the same size pans the recipe calls for. To be honest though, I've never run into any problems scaling cake recipes up and baking in larger pans without adjusting leavening. I know RLB swears by it and I'm not in a position to be the one to argue against it but I don't bother. Just keep track of the bake time on the first run in larger pans and the rest should be fine.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 6 months later...

This recipe is based on a recipe given to me from the Rimrock Restaurant in Whistler Canada. It was originally for making in a springform pan, but I now use a pan of individual mini-bundt cakes as they are the perfect size.

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

28 Ounces BROWN SUGAR

16 ounces butter

16 ounces cream

12 ounces dates

2 teaspoon soda

20 ounces boiling water

4 ounces butter -- melted

7 ounces brown sugar

2 teaspoon vanilla

2 each egg

14 ounces flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

boil first three ingredients together for 5 minutes or until it starts to

brown and thicken slightly. pour 1/4 cup of sauce into each container.

Heat oven to 350. pit dates (I buy pitted to save time)and chop up and

place in bowl of soda. pour hot water over and allow to cool. combine

butter, extra sugar and vanilla and beat until the mixture is creamed.

add egg and stir in the date mixture. mix together the flour and baking

powder and fold through until everything is incorporated. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into each container(will be very watery batter-don't worry). Turn oven to 300 (if convection-315 if regular)

bake for about 30 minutes or lightly crusty on the edge. Take out of oven and invert on parchment paper to cool. To serve, place some reserved sauce on a plage, put cake on top and microwave about 1 minute until sauce is hot and bubbly. You can also warm cake in micro and then heat sauce in pan and ladle over too. This makes about 35 cakes. Recipe divides in half nicely.

minutes. serve hot with reserved butterscotch sauce.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 709 Calories; 37g Fat (45.4%

calories from fat); 5g Protein; 95g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 126mg

Cholesterol; 428mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1

Fruit; 7 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

David Smith

• 3 years later...

Your post from 2010 came up on Google when I searched for Sticky Toffee Pudding in large quantities AFTER I put mine for 36 in the oven (it's still there!). I just multiplied the original recipe by 6 and I'm hoping for the best. I imagine it's going to take longer than the 50 minutes as the tin is very full, in fact I didn't put all the mixture in as I could tell it was too much. If you're interested I'll let you know how it turns out and give you the recipe.

Welcome to eGullet, Xina54. Do let us know how it works out.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's the recipe:

Sticky Toffee Pudding

https://www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/17/Sticky-Toffee-Pudding

Serves 6

175g dates, stoned and chopped

1tsp bicarbonate of soda

300ml boiling water

55g butter

175g caster sugar

2 eggs

175g self-raising flour

1tsp pure vanilla extract

For the sauce

397g can Carnation Caramel

You will also need...

An 18cm (7”) square cake tin base-lined with baking parchment

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, (160°C for fan ovens), Gas Mark 4.

2. Mix the dates and the bicarbonate of soda. Pour the hot water over and leave to soak while you make the batter. Whisk together the butter and the sugar, then add eggs, one at a time (don’t worry if it curdles). Mix in the flour, and then stir in the date mixture and vanilla. Pour into the prepared tin.

3. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes, until springy to the touch and cooked through.

4. Spoon the caramel into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring often (or heat gently on the hob).

I multiplied it by 6

It took two hours to bake.

I covered the edges with foil after about an hour as the centre was still liquid.

It's for a local Community Centre's Sunday Lunch Club but I baked the leftover mixture and it tastes delicious!

• Like 1