• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Liquor (liqueur?)

wc4572

As far as chocolate flavored spirits, I've only had Godiva chocolate. It's lasted me quite a long time (years), but my question is do I really need to spend $30 on a bottle? I couldn't bring myself to have two bottles of chocolate alcohol, so I figured I'd ask here first. Thanks for the help.

I always have white and dark creme de cacao on hand for pastry work so I use those in cocktails as well. Never tried anything else and probably won't anytime soon.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Before committing to a new bottle, try Mozart Black liqueur: I find it much more complex and intense than Godiva, which I find insipid, flat, and aggressively sweet. Mozart also makes a clear chocolate spirit, if you want something potent and sugarless to flavour sweets.

I'm afraid I can't remember what it costs in the US (it runs the equivalent of about USD20 in Germany, including tax), but I don't imagine that it would cost more than the Godiva, since both are imports.

I also have a bottle of some Italian stuff called 'Plaisir Noir', which is fine if you like your chocolate liqueurs on the thick and heavy side.

I'm not a huge fan of creme de cacao, but that may be because those I've tried were not necessarily intended to be sipped straight (I don't just use my chocolate liqueurs in baking, I drink them, too).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 11 months later...

Reviving an old thread.

I am not a big fan of chocolate liqueurs, but sometimes there's a drink that I really want to try that uses it. I think clear Creme de Cacao would be the obvious choice, except that the Marie Brizzard brand is a bit hard to find, and I suspect even it is pretty awful.

I would try the Mozart black liqueur as I've read it's less sweet and more like bittersweet chocolate. And I would definitely try the Mozart chocolate spirit, but I've never seen them.

Has anyone had the Meletti Chocolato? It's readily available. I realize that it won't be clear, so the appearance of drinks where I might sub it for Creme de Cacao will be off.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

If you can find it, try Zhumir Tacao. It's hands-down the best of the clear chocolate spirits; on the chocolate cream liqueur front, I'm very fond of a local brand called Loveisone, which is a bittersweet cream liqueur with very little sugar added, which comes in lovely amphorae. I have no idea on the availability of either in the exterior, though.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 1 year later...

Since it was on sale for 1/2 price, I just picked up a bottle of Marie Brizard brown creme de cacao. Other than coloring, is it different than the white? The description on their website is exactly the same for both, but I'd like to know if the flavors are different. I'd be willing to forsake the aesthetics to try a cocktail that calls for the white, like the 20th Century, provided the flavor profile is the same.

Since it was on sale for 1/2 price, I just picked up a bottle of Marie Brizard brown creme de cacao. Other than coloring, is it different than the white? The description on their website is exactly the same for both, but I'd like to know if the flavors are different. I'd be willing to forsake the aesthetics to try a cocktail that calls for the white, like the 20th Century, provided the flavor profile is the same.

I have had both and don't find any difference between the two Brizard versions. It is rather like clear, orange and blue curacao. Color is the only difference.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

If you can find it (that's possibly a very big 'if'), this stuff is an interesting alternative:

Amante.jpg

Amante is made in Belarus. What's it doing in a booze shop in New Zealand? I have no idea! It's in a 500ml bottle and is 25% alcohol by volume, the same strength as the bottle of Vedrenne crème de cacao I have. It smells a little more chocolatey but is quite pleasant even on its own (which is something I've never done with crème de cacao). Oh yes - not the least of its charms is it's really cheap!

Wifey has recently invented a tasty as-yet-unnamed cocktail using it. Proportions haven't been formalised, but something like 45ml tequila (blanco/silver), 20ml mescal, 20ml Amante with a few drops of Xocolatl mole bitters. Mix 'em up, serve with a huge block of ice in an Old Fashioned glass. Salut.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

My daughter introduced me to Trentadue Chocolate Amore when she was working at Total Wine. It's a big seller on Valentine's Day. She, my mother and I polished off a bottle one evening; they're very small bottles. :raz: It's port-like and great for sipping.

My husband preferred the less expensive ChocoVine which has a cream base.