• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ferran", the book

budrichard

I'm no fan of 'molecular gastronomy' and haven't and don't intend to eat at elBulli, have none of the collector books published by Ferran http://www.amazon.com/Ferran-Inside-Story-Bulli-Reinvented/dp/159240572X but did find this work at my local library and skimmed the book. Certainly if you are a fan of this sort of thing and Ferran, it would be a worthwhile read of the history behind the man and the restaurant as the book is well done and extensive. I read that the European version had pictures.

Anyway I learned as much as I wanted to know additionally about Ferran and it was a nice addition to the material one sees on shows by Bourdain and others.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

• 1 year later...

I've read this book and find it to be excellent. It's funny that you mention the term Molecular-Gastronomy, as Ferran himself doesn't like to be associated with those words; he prefers Avant-Garde Cuisine which is in fact more appropriate.

Very interesting and gives a great insight into the man who is quite possibly the best chef in the world.

Sommelier at The Three Chimneys, Isle of Skye, UK :: www.oscarjmalek.com

It is an interesting read, but I found it a little dry and very hard to follow at times, with all the people named and the sheer weight of history (I'm bad with names though, so that's probably the cause of my confusion and constant page flicking to remind myself who was who).

It did give a good insight to the man behind all the food-media hype and chef-worship, though I like the Achatz memoir much more, because of the fact that it's written from Achatz's perspective (I don't know if he employed a ghost writer or not), which makes for a much smoother read.

James.

• 3 months later...