• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mangalitsa Pork

dagordon

This is hands down the best pork I've ever had.

Last weekend my wife and I and another couple participated in this event at Mosefund Farm in northern NJ, where we learned how to slaughter, butcher, and prepare and cure Mangalitsa pigs, led by Christoph Wiesner and his wife, Isabel, an Austrian couple who raise the animals on their farm.

We'd had this farm's pork in the past at a Mangalitsa dinner at elements in Princeton, NJ, so we knew the quality of the product going in. In any case, we had an amazing weekend. It was a great group of people, we learned a ton, and it was delicious.

The main reason why I'm posting is that I want to spread the word about this product. Mosefund is currently selling at the New Amsterdam Market every Sunday. (I think the market will be open for four more weeks.) We went today to see Christoph demonstrate his butchering skills and to reconnect with some people from the class. We hadn't even heard of the New Amsterdam Market, but it's a lot of fun (Luke's Lobster, Porchetta; need I say more?).

One thing I can say is that all Mangalitsa is not equal. The very first time we had it it was from some place out west, and it was totally unexceptional.

Mosefund is doing it right. This pork is in a different league from any other pork we've had, including Berkshire at Blue Hill, Berkshire from Lobel's, Bryan Flannery's pork, etc. (and this is all excellent quality pork). The meat is almost red in color, it's extremely marbled, and the fat is somehow very flavorful but "clean" tasting at the same time.

Not sure where to get this once the market is on hiatus... maybe try contacting the farm. Michael Clampffer, who is the chef at the farm and who is in charge of their Mangalitsa effort, is a super-nice guy and I'm sure would be glad to hook you up in some way.

I have tried it that was grown here in Washington. Done by a company that calls themselves "WOOLY PIGS". woolypigs.com

Like you I found the pork to be ok but not enough better to be better than other local hogs. The lard was quite nice.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

I live near the farm and learned about it from a NY Times article when Mosefund Farm first got the pigs. At that time, they only had a cross between the Mangalista and Bershire (I think) for sale. The piece I bought was so large I could barely fit it in the oven - I had no idea how to butcher it :). My husband said it was like an I Love Lucy show watching me try to configure three pans to try to hold the piece of meat and figure out what angle to put it at so I could close the door :laugh::laugh:

I thought that was wonderful and meant to go back once their little piggies grew to maturity. Unfortunately I have been working and in grad school and have not had the time. But I will be back as soon as I have some free time on my hands again. Hopefully I can buy a slightly smaller piece this time.

Hi,

One of our local grower raised seven mangalitsa hogs last year and finished them on pecans. They had a huge volume of fat with wonderfully marbled red meat. The Chicago restaurants who received the pigs thought there was too much fat.

The pigs were very friendly and they became more friendly as they matured. Too friendly was the description.

One of the finest multi-course dinners ever in my experience.

Tim

I went to the Mosefund for the same class back in January and I have to say that if you are interested in the subject of butchery/offal/meat curing that it is definitely worth attending.

As for the meat, absolutely delicious. I ended up making some incredible guanciale and pancetta from some of the meat that I took home.

Hi everyone talking about Mangalitsa! It is the best pork ever to come into the US. Grower Heath Putnam, growing Wooly Pigs Mangalitsa, sells non-breeders to Mosefund (who sells parts mostly frozen to the public), and Heath is selling all parts of the Mangalitsa, FRESH, to DeBragga, New York's Butcher! Folks, you can buy anything you want of mangalitsa -- neck rolls, ribeyes, even LARD!, on their web site, www.debragga.com, and they ship it overnight to anywhere in the U.S. I highly recommend you check them out!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm surprised that Heritage doesn't carry it - they usually have 3 or 4 breeds of excellent pig.  I wonder if Flying Pigs Farm is going to be raising this breed? Or one of the other pig farmers at USGM?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?