• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flower Liquor

wc4572

So I brought a few tiny bottles back from France and have no idea what to do with them. I haven't even opened them yet, so I can't give a description, but here are some pictures. Any thoughts on recipes? Questions?CIMG4484a.JPG

CIMG4485a.JPG

CIMG4486a.JPG

CIMG4487a.JPG

Rose

Orange

Violette

I can't speak to those particular flavours, but a bit of St Germain elderflower liqueur added to a gin and tonic is a joy. I'd recommend experiments along similar lines with your finds.

Tipping over ice cream is also a good standby ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I can't speak to those particular flavours, but a bit of St Germain elderflower liqueur added to a gin and tonic is a joy. I'd recommend experiments along similar lines with your finds.

I would agree, I think the violet would do wonders for a gin and tonic. Maybe you could make something like a Negroni but swap out the Compari with the Violet or Rose.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

At the risk of stating the obvious, an Aviation and two variations would be where I'd start. I'd start with a tiny amount -- you can aways add more. I've made Aviations with as little as 1/4 tsp of Violette and the flavor, while subtle, is still very present.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I tried the ATTY from eje in the "Stomping..." thread. I used:

3/4 oz vermouth

1 1/2 oz gin (Beefeater 24)

1/2 teaspoon absinthe (Lucid)

1/2 teaspoon violette liquor

I made sure to not skip the lemon peel garnish.

At first, I was unimpressed, but the drink stays with me as people have mentioned. I think need to up the violette a bit or maybe decrease the vermouth.

I've never had an aviation and I don't have maraschino. Is it worth buying?

It is worth buying. Everybody needs a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino.

The rose liqueur intrigues me... I'm with EvergreenDan, I'd try an Aviation variant with (a tiny bit of) that and maybe Hendrick's?

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Any PA folks know if I can get any maraschino? I tried a search on the new website (tried luxardo and maraschino) and can't find anything. Any other names or brands I can search for?

I really appreciate all the ideas!