• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern New Jersey EATS

Rebecca263

I'm in south New Jersey- Salem to be exact, these days- not too much of real interest in the restaurant department- but my kitchen is always open if you're in the neighborhood!

DSCF6588.jpg The sign I've posted here is from Marty's Crabs- it's an outdoor place on Highway 49 that is open seasonally- I'm not a crab person but they make other stuff, too- very good crabs is the buzz- nice people! They closed a few weeks ago- the season is April to October, it seems. There is a local diner-Salem Oak Diner- whose cook makes excellent chicken croquettes. Right now it is the "spaghetti dinner" fundraiser season- in June it was "strawberry shortcake" season- there are also summer BBQ fundraisers- one local Catholic church does chickens that are WONDERFUL.Those church, fire department and school fundraisers are the most fun we have around here. I donate baked goods to any of them that ask.

There's a flea market called Cowtown nearby- Cowtown is a weekly rodeo- I go there to window shop- just yesterday I heard that there is a "diner" of a sort in the back with excellent sandwiches and pie- we'll check it out next week.

I'm looking for REAL Greek food down here- haven't found it yet!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Am going on a Mexican taqueria tour in South Jersey tomorrow, in fact. Will report back on our findings.

Find your local Greek church. Their annual festivals are always worthy because those Greek Church Ladies can cook! I've always been far more impressed with the findings at church festivals than most Greek restaurants...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stops on our tour today included:

La Esperanza in Lindenwold. Excellent Barbacoa, tacos, and guacamole.

Las Lomas in Hammonton. Probably my favorite of all the places we stopped. The Crema de Poblano soup was to die for and the tacos and flautas were delicious as well. Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Will be back there soon, for sure.

Lastly, we stopped at Fiesta Mexicana, also in Hammonton. By then we were pretty full and had a few margaritas and Dos Equis in us, but it was also very good. The Pozole Soup was outstanding, as well as the chicken mole and the Queso Fundido with Chorizo. They also had the whole staff come over and put the gigantic Sombrero of Shame on my friend's head and sang Happy Birthday to him. It was pretty awesome. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks for posting - we pass very near to these places on a regular basis and never even knew they existed - will have to pay a visit soon.

There is also a Mexican grocery on route 206 called Los Potros which is very complete - it's a bit further north

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Hammonton is right in the middle of a lot of farmland, so there's a large community of immigrant Mexican workers that work on the blueberry farms, etc. seasonally. Hammonton is a very cute little town, with a nice little downtown area. I'd not had the pleasure before but it's an easy detour on the way to or from the shore from Philly. Both of our stops there were real finds. but I'm still dreaming about the Crema de Poblano soup at Las Lomas. I really have to weasel that recipe out of the chef. Might be one of the tastiest soups I've ever had...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

We finally visited the diner in the back of Cowtown this week(open on Tuesdays and Saturdays exclusively).

Kind of cute- in a backwoods way. VERY disappointing food. Kiddle had a bowl of beef stew- bits of beef, carrot and potato drowned in a thick soup of tinned gravy. We ordered french fries- horrible crinkle cut frozen things- and the fryer is definitely using the oil too long- you can taste staleness, onion rings and fish on the french fries.

A friend told us that the peanut butter cookies are excellent, but we won't be returning to find out.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the warning/heads up about Cowtown. I've been meaning to go to check out the action but will make a point to avoid the food there!

I moved to the area from Philly - just about a mile from the Salem County border in Gloucester County - last summer. It is pretty much a culinary desert around here, although I have so much land now to grow my own vegetables - and awesome farm markets all around me - I can't complain too much :)

I'm also hoping to get the chance to revisit Cream Valley Custard this weekend in Woodstown...soooo good I've been drooling and dreaming about them all winter!

Edited by sockii (log)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

We go to a lot of fundraisers which feature food- we're in Salem so we stick to the area surrounding this town and the 15 or so miles surrounding us. If anyone is interested in meeting up for some country style food fun- PM me anytime!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma