• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Krispie Treats

K8memphis

I use less cereal* and unsalted butter and I added a vanilla bean--just so wonderful.

Then I made some with browned butter and a tahitian and a madagascar vanilla bean--just incredibly freaking good.

So easy and so very very good

Happy Thanksgiving!!

*5 cups instead of 6--and I just melt the marshmallows--

no bubbling just gentle easy melting.

Hey--go crazy and mold a fresh warm batch into a little cornucopia for your table. Just butter your hands and away you go!

When the mixture is just a bit softer, as you probably made it, it can be pressed into cake molds with great effect. I've done Christmas trees, snowmen, etc., also used a lamb cake mold and a ducky mold for an Easter party.

I spray the molds with release spray and put a sheet of parchment, a flat pan with a weight on the open side until it has set up.

If you use the "3-D" molds it is easy to glue them together with marshmallow that has been just a bit overcooked.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

As a child I was bowled over by a Christmas wreath an aunt did. I think it was Rice Krispy treat on the inside, coated with a corn flake equivalent on the outside for texture. Both with quite a lot of green food coloring.

I have a Bundt cake pan in the shape of a wreath. Thanks for reminding me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

As a child I was bowled over by a Christmas wreath an aunt did. I think it was Rice Krispy treat on the inside, coated with a corn flake equivalent on the outside for texture. Both with quite a lot of green food coloring.

I recall all corn flakes used for smaller wreaths, with 'red hots'/cinnamon imperials candies for accents.

I have been on a crazy brown butter obsession, this is so welcome! With the (rare) low humidity we're expecting, I am going to make marshmallows

today and have them ready to make treats tomorrow! this opens another dimension to my heady immersion into playing with butter....just smelling it brown is obscene.

"Scotcheroos"

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup sugar

1 cup peanut butter

6 cups rice krispies

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch chips

Place corn syrup and sugar in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Mix well. Add cereal; mix. Press into buttered 13 x 9 pan.

Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together, stirring constantly. Spread evenly over cereal mixture. Let stand until firm. Cut when cool.

:wub: My latest iteration is to substitute coarsely broken pretzels and some salted peanuts for about one-third of the cereal -- these are wonderful topped with kosher salt rather than the melted chips! :wub:

Has anyone made rice krispie treats using a homemade marshmallow/fluff instead of melting down bought marshmallows. I know that's a very easy way to do it, but I don't tend to have marshmallows on hand and they aren't actually that cheap in the supermarket, it seems.

I figure there must be a way to make marshmallow-y goop and just stir the rice bubbles into that... I guess it might work to use a normal marshmallow recipe and skip the part where you form and cut them?

I made a version of cereal treats that one of the chefs on Top Chef: Just Desserts made - the recipe is here. I liked it because it basically takes the gelatin and aeration out of the marshmallow, and just combines butter with a 240 degree sugar syrup. Accomplishes pretty near the same thing (they turned out more buttery and less gooey than the melted marshmallow kind, which was 100% fine with me), saves a step or two and a whole lot of mess.

Edited because I suck at HTML tagging, even when it's done for me.

Edited by patris (log)

Patty

One word

Microwave

You can use as little as a tablespoon of butter...or as much as you want

just heat the butter in a large plastic bowl and add marshmallows

keep an eye on them that they dont puff to the top of micro

when well puffed/soft add rice krispies.

At his point I usually Eat. Hot, Out of the Bowl but you may proceed as usual for you and slide the whole mass right out of the well lubed bowl.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Eileen Talanian's Marshmallow cookbook has a marshmallow "fluff" recipe, if I remember right. The first part of the cookbook is in Google books, but it doesn't preview the fluff chapter. I've never tried making it and I didn't really look at that chapter, but I'd think if you stopped beating a little earlier it might work, and then add the krispies? Then it'd still be able to blend, but would set as a bar.

I think advancing into actually cooking something goes far beyond the intended scope of rice krispie treatness. To me scraping off a vanilla bean was pushing it but oh so worth it.

I loves me some easy sweets. Even my husband who is not a baker can do the no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies. Sugar Jones taught him one night. Teach a man to fish--easier still!!! We serve each other mini dishes full of Belgian chocolate chips for late night snack and whoever gets up first has to refill.

So all that to say, Go Tracey with the microwave thing. Good for those who might not have a heavy pot. However, when melting on the stove you don't have to watch the pot if you use the lowest flame possible. So the microwave actually increases level of activity, no points but good try. However several points are being awarded for eating out of the bowl.

To me rice krispie treats embody a certain lazy characteristic in ease of preparation that should not be disturbed.

signed rkt purist :biggrin:

Andi, Indy--points as well for double duty making a centerpiece.

Butterscotch--Bourbon! Wonderful! Points aplenty.

Baroness, Chris, a little more complicated but great stuff.

HighChef--<sniiiiiifffffff>

Stuart, Patris, CookingOfJ--I'm lost in the minutiae but Eileen is a great baker--she and I go way back and they've gotta be great!

KayB--praying for world peace--worthy worthy--praying for rkt--a close second--quite possibly the answer to the first prayer.

Laurie,

Which 'this version'? There's at least a half dozen here.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

RE: the "Scotcheroo"....my mother still has the original recipe, clipped out of some long forgotten magazine circa 1965--70, lurking in the back of a kitchen drawer. It is held together by scotch tape & is barely legible....but it is a family classic. We like to use half milk choc in the icing, and some chunky peanut butter and/or chopped peanuts folded into the krispie part. I keep meaning to work up an almond-butter or hazelnut version, but the original is darn tasty.

Pat out the treats to ~ 1/2 inch, then apply cookie cutters.

Colored sugar allows thematic decoration.

Made my daughter's school a "bouquet of flowers" from heart-shaped treats, for their Valentine's Day buffet. Kinda fun. Most were eaten by the teachers.

The commercial treats are nasty. What is the extra ingredient that does that?

Gonna have to try brownbutter and vanilla.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.