• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Confit

Richard Kilgore

I have a surplus of roma tomatoes and want to make tomato confit. Any suggestions for what to add to the crock pot...other than the tomatoes, salt and olive oil? Maybe a sprig of rosemary?

Won't you end up with stewed tomatoes if you use a crockpot? Not saying it wouldn't be delicious but the oven might give you better results for a confit. I saw this recipe on Food Network's website which is adapted from Daniel Boulud's cookbook which seems like a pretty good source. Basically just put them on a sheet pan and roast at 200 degrees.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

I've seen tomatoes done both ways. They are both good. I would say that usually in restaurants we do the oven dried method, though to call this a confit is iffy. To be fair, calling tomatoes poached in oil confit is iffy as well, but it's common enough kitchen language to be used.

I would think that a couple of hours would be sufficient. You could also do the oven method (drizzle or toss with oil, seasoning, etc). If you are going to do the oil method you may want to take the skins off first before you add them to the oil, because the tomatoes are likely to fall apart and the skins may get mixed in. The oven method you can just roast with the skins on and take them off of each individual "petal" after. It should slip right off.

In all honestly, there isn't really a "wrong" way to do it...both will give you concentrated tomato flavor for a variety of purposes. My only advice for the oil poached is to watch the heat and don't use too much oil. But you'll most likely be fine either way.