• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Dallas] York Street Closing

Kevin72

I'm sure she's ready for some time off. Running a tiny restaurant like that, where you as the chef is one of the people cooking on the line nightly, in an intimate setting, takes a lot out of you. Like, she probably worked 12-15 hours a day 5 days a week. And even on her days off the restaurant is never far from her thoughts (I'm guessing) and there is still work to be done even if the restaurant isn't open. Deliveries, book keeping, etc. Couple that with tough economic times cutting into the sliver of profit that restaurants make anyways, I don't begrudge her a break.

I'm guessing she'll come back in a couple of years with something bigger and (hopefully) better, though topping the charm and appeal of York St. will be tough.

If I still lived in Dallas I would love to take over the space, never mind I don't have the money. It'd just be a dream...for about 10 years lol.

Good luck to her...just hope she stays in Dallas.

Leslie Brenner's farewell writeup in the DMN is here.

As a curious postscript, in this post on Eatsblog, they apparently "ran out of stuff" for Saturday's service and decided to just close then, making Friday their last service instead. Anyone get a final meal there? Anyone shut out Saturday?

Lol, why did Brennar give a false name/number for the reservation? Seems silly that she would need to disguise herself on a last meal kind of night, where I'm assuming she wouldn't review in an official capacity. I mean, there were stinking photographers there, it's not like they didn't know she was coming.

Seems stupid to me. Why bother?