• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spot prawns

Over on the amazing mail-order shrimp thread on General, there was a brief tip of the hat to our Northwest spot prawns. I order these whenever I see them on a menu, but let me throw myself before the mercy of the forum and admit that I've never bought them, never cooked them, and don't know when the season is (okay, I know it starts in spring).

Who wants to give me a lesson? Where have you purchased spot prawns (raw or at a restaurant) and what are your favorite preparations?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

mamster, thank you for starting this thread! I love talking shrimp.

I believe in our area we have Alaska spot prawns and fresh Hood Canal Shrimp, which are also spot prawns (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm just going from memory). I have bought these at Admiral Thriftway, in addition to buying them near Hood's Canal.

They are more delicate than regular prawns and have a nice sweet flavor. Quite often they are just steamed or boiled and served in the shell (including heads & feet). Some have roe. I've also seen them at Pike Place Market. In fact, I think the only way I have ever eaten Hood Canal shrimp are boiled in the shell with a little cocktail sauce. mmmm. Heaven! I believe I have used Alaska spot prawns in stir fry. They aren't cheap though. As I recall for the size (which is about medium), they are a little more expensive than the frozen shrimp from Thailand, which we usually see in the market.

I've cooked with them, but they are tricky. I've never had good luck peeling them first, the meat shrinks up and it isn't that juicy fat prawn you were hoping it was. They have rather sharp points at the tail end of their shells that will draw blood :-/ I've had them as sweet shrimp at sushi restaurants, and poached and served with a soy/sesame/green onion/ginger type of sauce in chinese restaurants-- these came complete with roe. really incredible flavor, like little lobsters.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I do believe you're right, klink. As much as I loved the half-live raw ama ebi, a deep-fried shrimp head is pretty much the world's most perfect food.

Malarkey, you have only made me more determined to capture the wily spot prawn and make it sing in my kitchen. Maybe this will be a future column....

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I like to bring olive oil to a simmer in a small deep pot, add some thyme and whole garlic cloves and salt and let it sit off the heat for awhile. Peel the prawns in the meantime. Malarkey-- careful with the tails, I've heard that they are poisonous or at least can give you a nasty infection. Bring the oil back up to heat for just a second, and drop the prawns in. Let them just begin to turn opaque, then pull them out. The texture remains very much like amaebi- silky rather than at all mealy. There is minimal shrinkage this way too.

I like to serve them over a cauliflower puree or soup. Or on warm lentils with a vinaigrette.

This only makes me more determined to have thelastsupper cook spot prawns for me.

No kidding! When I read that post I almost reflexively PM'ed tls the dates and times I'd be available for dinner..... :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

These showed up at our local grocery store with lots of roe attached a month or so ago in the seafood case. There's a guy who cooks behind the counter and he said they're best seared in the shell over high heat. I think most shrimp is better cooked in the shell. He likes grilling them the best but what we did was sear them in a cast iron skillet in a mixture of olive oil and clarified butter. They were good, but I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble of cooking them again. I thought they were too sweet.

regards,

trillium

• 2 weeks later...
Trillium, do you also dislike scallops? I usually dislike sweet things (esp. desserts) but have never thought that prawns were too sweet. Interesting. Scallops have bordered on too sweet for me though, depending on their preparation.

As a matter of fact, scallops aren't my favorite shellfish. I like shrimp better than scallops (crab better than lobster, etc), but I found the spot prawns sweeter than other prawns I've tried. I do like dessert, just not combined with my savory dish...all those things people do with fruit to ruin a perfectly good duck, goose etc.

regards,

trillium