• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake sara ケーク・サレ

cteavin

Hi,

Apparently these cakes are becoming all the rage in department stores and I was asked to make a couple for this weekend which is fine, I've found a few recipes in Japanese, but what I can't find is what this cake is called in French so I can research these recipes. Does anyone know what Cake Sara/Sala is called in either English or French? It looks like a quick bread with cheese and sometimes vegetables or meat mixed in.

Thank you,

I'm going to speculate that this is a Japanese take on a French loaf cake, like the "Le Weekend", which often has candied fruit in but is obviously a sweet cake. But I've never seen anything in the savory range like this in a whole lot of French baking books that I own. I guess it could be some sort of new idea.

The photos on Prasantrin's link helped ring a bell here. I recently ate Cake aux Olives at the Tartine bakery in SF. It was just like the pic-- a heavy, cheesy, eggy bread with olives and ham in it. If you google "Cake aux Olives" you'll find more recipes in French. good luck.

Savory quick breads are a staple pre-dinner nibble in French homes. They generally include some combination of cheese, diced ham, olives, and herbs.

Anna N made the Savory Cheese and Chive Bread from Dorie Greenspan's "Around my French Table." Pictured here, described here.

As others have suggested, using the term salé (literally salted but meaning savory) as opposed to sucré (sweet) might help your search.

And the winner is: French Loaf Cake +Savory. Key that in your search and the recipes flow. It's interesting. I got into a discussion a long time ago about savory cakes and here we are. Now I need to weed out three good recipes for Monday.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be test driving a couple of savory quick bread recipes for a potluck. Indeed these are really popular in France and there are even entire books devoted to them.

The most traditional one is the olive, cheese & ham version.

They seem to be ideal for potlucks as they can be eaten room temperature and are very portable. They make a light lunch with a salad. They are also good with a spread such as tapenade.

There was an article in the New York Times about "cake salé" this summer. (The accent is important as sale means dirty!)