• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When do you serve Thanksgiving dinner

Fat Guy

Our tradition has been 12:00 NOON.

Yikes.

I have to say, that's the earliest I've ever heard of. Don't know how you do it. What time do you have to start?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The day before!

But we usually start roasting the turkey by 6:00 or 7:00 am, depending on the size. My husband is a natural early riser, so he's the one who puts it in the oven, but it's usually prepped and ready to go.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I did a non-scientific facebook poll of friends from my hometown. Seven out of 8 respondents have holiday dinners at noon. The one who has it in the evening started it because of her husband's work schedule. By the time his schedule changed, her kids were grown and married and the evening dinner works because the kids have NOON T-Day with their in-laws, and come home for dinner with their parents.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I did a non-scientific facebook poll of friends from my hometown. Seven out of 8 respondents have holiday dinners at noon. The one who has it in the evening started it because of her husband's work schedule. By the time his schedule changed, her kids were grown and married and the evening dinner works because the kids have NOON T-Day with their in-laws, and come home for dinner with their parents.

Wow. You'd really have to get up early to keep up with that tradition. I have to hustle to get everything on the table by 3.

Of course, it sounds like you have assistance with the chores, so that would help. In my family, I did it all. In fact, I remember once overhearing my husband tell somebody that Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday because "you don't have to do anything. You don't have to buy presents for anyone or hang up any lights or take the kids around the neighborhood or anything at all. You just sleep late, then eat and watch football. It's perfect."

Perhaps I should mention that he's my former husband.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Wow. You'd really have to get up early to keep up with that tradition. I have to hustle to get everything on the table by 3.

Of course, it sounds like you have assistance with the chores, so that would help. In my family, I did it all. In fact, I remember once overhearing my husband tell somebody that Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday because "you don't have to do anything. You don't have to buy presents for anyone or hang up any lights or take the kids around the neighborhood or anything at all. You just sleep late, then eat and watch football. It's perfect."

Perhaps I should mention that he's my former husband.

Well, bless your heart! Of COURSE he is!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"