• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes

Stone

I've never been able to keep straight all the information about potatoes -- the difference between russets, fingerlings, yellows, German; which are starchy, which should be used for baking (o.k., I know that the sign in the grocery what says "baking potatoes" is a hint), hash browns, mashed, etc.

Can people post their knowledge here for easy reference?

As different countries have different varieties I hesitate to mention types. Potatoes are either waxy, floury or all purpose.

Waxy describes the texture of the potato. New potatoes are waxy because their sugar has not yet converted to starch, as it will with age.

Waxy potatoes tend to be really good for boiling, salads and adding to casseroles and soups as they tend to hold their shape and won't fall apart.

Because waxy potatoes have a higher sugar content they are not suitable for chipping, roasting or wedges - their sugar content means they will burn easier.

Floury potatoes are fabulous for mash, they are generally the large potatoes that last for ages when stored correctly. I will let someone else fill in variety names.

Here in NZ the all purpose potatoes are generally have pink/red coloured skin.

That pretty much sums up my knowledge on the subject :smile:

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that if you want to make gnocchi, use floury potatoes.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

That pretty much sums up my knowledge on the subject  :smile:

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that if you want to make gnocchi, use floury potatoes.

Polly, I am glad to see you back. Missed your active presence from the board. Hope you and yours are well. :smile:

Edited by Suvir Saran (log)

That's a good potato site. It's interesting to look at the American varieties and work out which ones are the same as Australian ones but with different names.

In the U.S. do they sell Desiree, Patrone, Kipfler, or Toolanghi Delight varieties?

Thanks, Suvir, for your message. Right back at ya..

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.