• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Entrees

Qwerty

Any cool ideas for vegetarian entrees? I've seem to hit a wall...I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas about creative or different vegetarian entrees, what other chefs have done/are doing, etc.

Obviously seasonality is important. I've done the usual risottos, bean stews, pastas, etc. This is a fairly busy restaurant so consideration for quick pick ups is always welcome as well.

Thanks...

Querty,

A few years ago I adapted a Moroccan filo pastry casserole dish to be vegetarian, and it was popular with the non-vegetarians as well. Had winter squash, currants, toasted almonds, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, etc. For that matter a veggie "bisteeya" would go over well if you can make it.

Gratins of fall vegetables are also nicely decadent, and fairly easy to make in quantity. Or consider a savory bread pudding. I've also made a brussel sprout souffle, but that's hard to do around a very busy kitchen.

Vegan is a bit tougher, there you're stuck with stuffed squash. But vegans don't go out much, anyway.

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco