• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Amirault

Having Steel-Cut Irish Oats Ready in the Morning

61 posts in this topic

Thanks to all for your informative replies. So, next question: Has anyone tried pressure-cooking them?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I'm not awake enough to use my pressure cooker for anything in the morning.

Thanks to all for your informative replies. So, next question: Has anyone tried pressure-cooking them?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

from ATK: After soaking overnight in what was hot water, add 1 cup more and cook for 4-6 mins till it looks like hot porridge then rest for 5 mins. Can't get much easier then that and it's faster then a pressure cooker in the morning.

Raamo, when you start the soak what proportions do you use?

Raamo, when you start the soak what proportions do you use?

3 water / 1 oats

The water boils 1st, then the oats go in with a little salt off the heat. This sits over night and is safe as it's just salt, oats and water.

Is there copyright issues if I put the entire recipe here but not the pretext etc? It's from the latest season of ATK. In the recipe pretext they discuss why they don't add to boiling on the heat, or in a crockpot etc.

Edited by Raamo (log)

I just cooked Aldi's brand (Millville?) this week. It said at least a 6 cup bowl and mine was bigger. 1/2 cup oats, 3 cups water.

5 minutes, stirred, after that (2md 5 minutes) they boiled up and went over and all down the side of bowl. What a mess.

But what was left I cooked in pot on stove and they were wonderful. Think I will stick to stovetop, perhaps with prepping night before. I'll be doing them again...and excuse to eat plump raisins.

I made too much oatmeal this week as I forgot my husband would be away Mon-Weds so had a bunch to use up. I normally will throw into a baked good or a meatloaf but also had some leftover asian chicken to use up. So I made a really quick "asian" soup (almost a porridge) with chicken stock, onion, broccoli, carrot, sesame oil, the leftover chicken and the steel cut oats, with ginger, garlic, and crushed pepper. Never tried to use it like this before but it was actually very good. It really worked the same way as leftover rice.

Wondering if anyone else has ideas for savory recipes as I probably make too much at least once a month.

There was a post on Serious Eats awhile back about SAVORY OATMEAL being the new thing. They made Oats with Sriracha and Eggs...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I made too much oatmeal this week as I forgot my husband would be away Mon-Weds so had a bunch to use up. I normally will throw into a baked good or a meatloaf but also had some leftover asian chicken to use up. So I made a really quick "asian" soup (almost a porridge) with chicken stock, onion, broccoli, carrot, sesame oil, the leftover chicken and the steel cut oats, with ginger, garlic, and crushed pepper. Never tried to use it like this before but it was actually very good. It really worked the same way as leftover rice.

Wondering if anyone else has ideas for savory recipes as I probably make too much at least once a month.

There was a post on Serious Eats awhile back about SAVORY OATMEAL being the new thing. They made Oats with Sriracha and Eggs...

And indeed, the first reference I saw to pressure-cooked steel-cut oats was in VOLT ink., where it's used in a savoury oatmeal recipe with mushrooms, brown butter and beer.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Now, having tried pressure-cooked steel-cut oats this morning, I can say that I don't think it saves on time, when you factor in how long it takes to come up to pressure and then come back down to ambient pressure, but it does save on the "stirring and watching" part.

I put half a cup of McCann's oats in a bowl with a pinch of salt, a handful of raisins and 2 cups of water, set the bowl on a trivet in the pressure cooker, and filled the cooker with water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Brought it to high pressure, held it there for 5 and a half minutes, then let the pressure dissipate naturally. Stirred and served, with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup. I would say it was both a little fluid and a little chewy, so I'll scale back on the water a touch next time, and up the cooking time to 7 minutes.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I cook my steel-cut oats with milk, and therefore use a Fuzzy rice cooker on porridge. simple. no scorching.

the idea came from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358440199&sr=1-1&keywords=ultimate+rice+cooker

I reheat the refrigerated left overs with a little milk in the microwave.

then add the add-ins.

The nice thing about using the crock pot is that all I have to do is throw the oats, sugar, salt and water in the crock, put the lid on, and turn on low the night before. Literally less than 5 minutes to prep. They're creamier that way than they are prepared on the stove.

They still have a slight firmness to them, but not like when they're cooked on the stove according to the McCann's directions. I like the toothiness of the oats prepared on the stove much better than the ones prepared in the crock pot.

I use McCann's ratios, and usually make enough to use up a quart of water. That gives me leftovers for a bit over a week.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

• Similar Content

• By Mike.jj
      Hello Egullet family.. its good to be back on here, been away for a while, i hope to find some new trending recipes .. and be ready to get some African dish recipes for those who love African Dishes, You can Read and  Download  Mp3 Audios here of some Nigerian dishes, and there are more coming in which i would be placing on here.. Thanks
    • By Darienne
      My long-time Bullet gave up the ghost over the weekend and since we had a couple of free hours and were in the States...where the Walmarts are different from those in Canada...I went smoothie blender looking.

We found a suitable Hamilton Beach 'Go Sport' Blender and brought it home.  The specs looked good and the price was just fine.

HOWEVER...two major flaws in this blender which are worth noting.

1.  The blender bottle opening is quite narrow and I need a modified funnel to get my ingredients into it with ease.  Rats.  OK.  I can do this.

2.  And even worse.  This unit has NO protected blending blades.  That is, if you plug the unit in, put the cutting blades into the unit and turn the unit on and are being stupidly careless...as we have all been known to be...you can get your fingers cut to ribbons!!  (No, I did not do it.  Yet.)  Now, the directions do tell you THE safe way to use the blender...but they don't make any reference to the fact that you...OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, A CHILD...could massacre their fingers in this unit.  I was really surprised.  I can't recall the last electrical kitchen appliance which was so open to misuse and accident.  Almost all must have all the protective units in place before the blades will even work.   You'd have to do something truly unusual to hurt yourself using one.  (OK.  Go ahead.  Post all the exceptions to my statement.  )

I post this just in case. 
    • By Chelseabun
      Does anyone have a recipe for Fake Bacon please?

I have been vegetarian now for about 3 months.  So far it is going very well and I am looking to widen my range of recipes without meat.  I am not sure that going down the path of making imitation meets is the best approach but I do enjoy vegetarian soy based sausages and mince (ground beef) -  So perhaps an imitation bacon will be good too.

If you have any favourite recipes for fake bacon that you wish to share, that would be appreciated.

Regards
    • By bhsimon
      As far as I understand, noodles are a common breakfast dish throughout south-east Asia. Curry laksa, for example, is a breakfast noodle dish in Penang, Malaysia; commonly called curry mee by the locals. This is just one example I know of first hand, but I'm certain there are many others.

Do you know of other breakfast noodle dishes? Or books on the subject?

Keep in mind that I'm interested in noodle dishes specifically, not just any type of breakfast. I'll keep that broader topic for a different thread.
    • By Darienne
      Breakfast has become a problem at our house. We no longer get up at the same time and we no longer eat the same things every day for breakfast. So I have been searching for power/nutrition/energy/granola/health/power/etc bars to make for me to eat. DH doesn't eat them. Well, not at breakfast anyway.
      Recently a new cookbook, Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook by Camilla V. Saulsbury has come out and I have started making a few of the bars in it. Some are excellent, some not wonderful, others way too sweet for me. The first section contains recipes for well-known "knock-offs". The only commercial bar we've tried is a Clif bar and both thought it was awful. I suspect that most of them are too sweet for our personal tastes. (To generalize wildly: Canadians are less addicted to sugar than Americans...more addicted to salt.)
      The book includes recipes for vegans and for folks who can't tolerate gluten. Lots of variations given with each recipe.
      I am proposing to go through the entire book of 30 recipes, making one after another, to find the ones which suit me. I'll report back on this. (Give me a purpose for surviving this horrible cold winter. ) Maybe someone else has the book, has tried some recipes, and is interested in this.
      Saulsbury also has a blog, http://powerhungry.com/ , in which she has posted some bars which are not in the book. I haven't figured out exactly which ones are repeated in the book yet.
      Should have added Europeans generally like less sugar than do Americans. Don't know about Aussies or other countries...