• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Having Steel-Cut Irish Oats Ready in the Morning

Chris Amirault

I'm not awake enough to use my pressure cooker for anything in the morning.

Thanks to all for your informative replies. So, next question: Has anyone tried pressure-cooking them?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

from ATK: After soaking overnight in what was hot water, add 1 cup more and cook for 4-6 mins till it looks like hot porridge then rest for 5 mins. Can't get much easier then that and it's faster then a pressure cooker in the morning.

Raamo, when you start the soak what proportions do you use?

3 water / 1 oats

The water boils 1st, then the oats go in with a little salt off the heat. This sits over night and is safe as it's just salt, oats and water.

Is there copyright issues if I put the entire recipe here but not the pretext etc? It's from the latest season of ATK. In the recipe pretext they discuss why they don't add to boiling on the heat, or in a crockpot etc.

Edited by Raamo (log)

I just cooked Aldi's brand (Millville?) this week. It said at least a 6 cup bowl and mine was bigger. 1/2 cup oats, 3 cups water.

5 minutes, stirred, after that (2md 5 minutes) they boiled up and went over and all down the side of bowl. What a mess.

But what was left I cooked in pot on stove and they were wonderful. Think I will stick to stovetop, perhaps with prepping night before. I'll be doing them again...and excuse to eat plump raisins.

I made too much oatmeal this week as I forgot my husband would be away Mon-Weds so had a bunch to use up. I normally will throw into a baked good or a meatloaf but also had some leftover asian chicken to use up. So I made a really quick "asian" soup (almost a porridge) with chicken stock, onion, broccoli, carrot, sesame oil, the leftover chicken and the steel cut oats, with ginger, garlic, and crushed pepper. Never tried to use it like this before but it was actually very good. It really worked the same way as leftover rice.

Wondering if anyone else has ideas for savory recipes as I probably make too much at least once a month.

There was a post on Serious Eats awhile back about SAVORY OATMEAL being the new thing. They made Oats with Sriracha and Eggs...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I made too much oatmeal this week as I forgot my husband would be away Mon-Weds so had a bunch to use up. I normally will throw into a baked good or a meatloaf but also had some leftover asian chicken to use up. So I made a really quick "asian" soup (almost a porridge) with chicken stock, onion, broccoli, carrot, sesame oil, the leftover chicken and the steel cut oats, with ginger, garlic, and crushed pepper. Never tried to use it like this before but it was actually very good. It really worked the same way as leftover rice.

Wondering if anyone else has ideas for savory recipes as I probably make too much at least once a month.

There was a post on Serious Eats awhile back about SAVORY OATMEAL being the new thing. They made Oats with Sriracha and Eggs...

And indeed, the first reference I saw to pressure-cooked steel-cut oats was in VOLT ink., where it's used in a savoury oatmeal recipe with mushrooms, brown butter and beer.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Now, having tried pressure-cooked steel-cut oats this morning, I can say that I don't think it saves on time, when you factor in how long it takes to come up to pressure and then come back down to ambient pressure, but it does save on the "stirring and watching" part.

I put half a cup of McCann's oats in a bowl with a pinch of salt, a handful of raisins and 2 cups of water, set the bowl on a trivet in the pressure cooker, and filled the cooker with water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Brought it to high pressure, held it there for 5 and a half minutes, then let the pressure dissipate naturally. Stirred and served, with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup. I would say it was both a little fluid and a little chewy, so I'll scale back on the water a touch next time, and up the cooking time to 7 minutes.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I cook my steel-cut oats with milk, and therefore use a Fuzzy rice cooker on porridge. simple. no scorching.

the idea came from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358440199&sr=1-1&keywords=ultimate+rice+cooker

I reheat the refrigerated left overs with a little milk in the microwave.

then add the add-ins.

• 2 weeks later...

The nice thing about using the crock pot is that all I have to do is throw the oats, sugar, salt and water in the crock, put the lid on, and turn on low the night before. Literally less than 5 minutes to prep. They're creamier that way than they are prepared on the stove.

They still have a slight firmness to them, but not like when they're cooked on the stove according to the McCann's directions. I like the toothiness of the oats prepared on the stove much better than the ones prepared in the crock pot.

I use McCann's ratios, and usually make enough to use up a quart of water. That gives me leftovers for a bit over a week.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA