• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Sorbet

Chris Hennes

I have some pomegranates (wow they are really cheap right now). I have an ice cream machine. I have looked through the master sorbet topic, but no one seems to be making pomegranate sorbet: any suggestions of where to begin in terms of ratios? Should I juice the pomegranates, or puree them?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Juice or puree, but if you puree, make sure to strain out any bitter stuff that might be left.

I'd use the pretty classic ratio of 2 c. liquid to 1 c. sugar. Pinch of salt. Tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Tablespoon or 2 of applejack. Taste. Refrigerate. Freeze. Call it a Jack Rose sorbet.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Don't puree it will turn foggy pepto-bismal color. Pulse it in robotcoupe at let it sit in a china cap or cheesecloth like tomato water. Because it has no solids just juice its going to have weak texture even with a good sorbet syrup. I would thicken a portion of it with pectin NH then combine with the juice and your sorbet syrup and season.