• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scaling Assam tea quantities when making tea in bulk?

mbanu

The entertainingly non-metric old British taster's method is to put as much tea as a sixpence weighs in a one gill (Imperial) tasting cup. (~2.83 grams per 142 mL fluid). This makes a fairly agreeable cup of tea. However, when I scale everything upwards, such as using 23 grams of tea in a 40 oz. teapot, the tea comes out very strong, and a bit too much even with milk.

Has anyone else noticed this effect? Any suggestions for how to adjust the weight of tea used when making large batches?

Edited by mbanu (log)

For myself, as the teapot increases the teaspoons decrease. Otherwise, as you have noted, the tea is far too strong.

My guideline is 2-2.5 grams per 237 ml.

That said, I'm not that strict with my measurements. Water temp is more important to me.

slowfood/slowwine