• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a cocoa cake with oil recipe please

Spring

People are asking me to bake and decorate cakes and are actually willing to pay me for it but sadly not a lot, so I cant afford to use loads of chocolate and butter combined with the fact I want to make cakes that are dairy free.

So I need a recipe for a cake that uses cocoa and oil and is for a 29cm round tin (30cm outside measurement)plus baking time and temp.

Id be prostrate with gratitude if anyone can help me with this :)

Seems a chiffon cake would be the solution. Made with oil, you could use cocoa rather than chocolate (in fact, I think cocoa would be preferred in this instance). No dairy, but there are eggs. All the recipes I've seen, however, call for baking in a tube pan, so that may nix it.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I have a recipe that I have made a zillion times over the last 20 years or more. Super easy and moist.

Ingredients:2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 cup oil

*1 1/4 cup milk or other liquid

5 big tablespoons good cocoa

2 1/2 cups flour

1 packet baking powder- according to my measurements that is 10 grams

Method:Mix sugar and eggs in mixer

In a cup or bowl mix the oil with the baking soda

In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.

Gradually add the oil mixture alternatively with the flour mixture into the eggs and sugar which are in the mixer.

It may look very liquidy-no fear it will turn out right.

Preheat oven to 180

* If you do want want any dairy you can replace it with orange juice or cold coffee etc. You may want to add a drop of extra oil to replace the milk fat...

About pan size-I have used various pans-a biggish heart one, a bundt, a rectangle. You will have to experiment on this one.

If you don't want to use eggs, just look for a vegan chocolate cake recipe on the 'net. A friend gave me a recipe once and when I searched, I found they're all the same--oil, cocoa, sugar (make sure it's vegan), etc. and they're decent. Scale the recipe and time up or down to suit your pan.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! :wub:

Whenever I bake its a bit hit and miss as I usually do it sugar and gluten free and am still tweaking with the ingredients, so never sure if its me the recipe or the weird stuff I use lol.

I kind of got talked into making a birthday cake for a client when I met with her to discuss a birthday chocolate workshop and am suddenly getting orders from people :blink: The cake decorations looked good and they were really pleased but had a horrible time baking a passable cake.

I like this one from Hershey's - it's similar to the Perfectly Chocolate Cake listed above, except it uses strong coffee, plus a few other differences: (I cut down the sugar and salt):

BLACK MAGIC CAKE

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=4754

More ratings and reviews at:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/black-magic-cake/Detail.aspx

Here's one without dairy that I recommended to several people, and they had good results:

CRAZY CHOCOLATE CAKE

http://www.recipezaar.com/53524

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 2 weeks later...

do a google search for "wowie cake" - it is similar to the above recipes with oil, water, vinegar, cocoa, flour, sugar, salt baking powder and baking soda - no eggs; you need to use a dutched cocoa for best results. I am thinking of experimenting soon with replacing the flour with a gluten free flour substitute to see if it works as well.

JeanneCake: I had settled on trying the one bowl chocolate cake (sfter I had definately decided on the black magic lol) but the wowie looks a lot easier, I mean a lot tastier etc :laugh: thanks :)

Ive actually found (after years of trial and error) a very good gluten free flour mix if you are interested and it doesnt require xanthan or guar gum, it is the nearest in taste and texture to wheat Ive found so far. I have an extra problem/challenge baking gluten free as my husband cant have oat,potato or spelt and I dislike quinoa, buckwheat and chickpea.

Its one Ive created as the ready made ones are either unsuitable (potato flour and/or sugar - we cant eat sugar, or horrible as they are mainly cornflour)

I use 3 flours and the amounts are approximate

Teff flour: 60%

Corn Flour (fine polenta): 20%

Tapioca: 20%

Teff is amazing, google will give you more and better information than I can, very nutritious and tastes good too, it is used to make the Ethiopian bread injira. The Tapioca "glues" it all together so dont need to use xanthan or guar gum. Youll probably need to add a bit more liquid than you would with wheat flour. If you like quinoa flour you could probably use some of that instead of the Corn Flour and make the flour more nutritious. HTH

My standard go to chocolate cake recipe is made with mayonnaise (just eggs and oil emulsified), I usually have housemade mayo at the restaurant but I acheive the same results with store bought.

It's ridiculously moist, chocolatey, and tortes like a dream when I do specialty cakes.

3 eggs

350g sugar

240g mayonnaise

2T vanilla extract

280g all purpose

85g dutch cocoa (I use valhrona)

7g baking soda

1g baking powder

2g salt

290g water (can be cut with other liquids such as coffee,liqueur, etc)

Mix the eggs and sugar, until lightened and at ribbon stage. Add in mayo and vanilla. Alternate between dry mix and water.

I bake this in a half sheet at 325 convection high fan, for about 10-15 minutes for a 3/4inch layer.

It also multiplies well (I havent gone past 8x)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bruiser (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a fairly famous one: Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake

You could substitute soy/almond/rice milk.

I second this recommendation. This cake is a crowd pleaser, and totally forgiving. It's not terribly dense, so it is probably best for smaller cakes (not stacking tiers). Deep chocolate flavor, and comforting-- like grandma would make. I routinely make 4 layer 9" birthday cakes with this when someone asks for a plain chocolate cake. It goes very well with a 7 minute vanilla frosting-- if you are not adverse to using eggs, that is!

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again." --Groucho Marx