• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer for Thanksgiving

Chris Amirault

I've had it with trying to match wines for Thanksgiving and want to try something different this year. I've been serving quality beers more often with good meals, and think that turkey-n-fixin's might be a great pairing.

Imbibe thinks so, too; here's their list of Thanksgiving-friendly beers. What are yours?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Honestly, we don't really put much thought into pairing anything with the meal (my MIL is usually hosting). We DO bring stuff to drink before, though. Southern Tier's Pumpking is a solid pumpkin beer, and we tend to bring saisons too, but I can't remember for sure what else we've had for Thanksgiving.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

That's a nice list they put togeher. I'm a big fan of the smoke beer. For our Thanksgiving though we went with a few different pumpkin beers. My personal favorite was the Elysian (both the porter and the regular pumpkin ale are great) followed by Dogfish Punkin. Youngs double chocolate stout is a good dessert beer but there is a heavy chocolate flavor in it which some don't seem too like (I do). Hacker pschorr oktoberfest is really good this time of year as well.

That's about the extent I can comment, the rest of the beers I would recomend are local (Canada, BC more specifically) but just for the record.....

Howe Sounds winter ale

Pacific Western Natureland Fest Bier

Central City Red Racer Pumpkin Ale

Hermanator by Vancouver Island Brewery

Phillips Chocolate Porter

Good luck with the pairings!

Clark

I'd suggest the New Belgium 1554 -- it's porter-ish, rich and very well-balanced. If you want something hoppier, I recently tried Sierra Nevada's Northern Hemisphere Harvest and was very impressed. Of the others on the Imbibe list, I've tried the Dogfish Raison d'Etre; for me it was too sweet.

Scotch Ale could be an excellent choice depending on which one (obviously). The reason I say that though is just strength, some may be way to strong to sip with dinnerInnis and Gunn make a decent one that is still reasonably drinkable.......(I Haven't had a chance to try the Sierra Nevada so can't really comment on that.....)

Clark

Edited by Clark D (log)

I personally like Belgian Saisons and Belgian strong golden ales with turkey. The dry crisp nature of the beer pairs well with lean turkey meat. My personal favorites for turkey are Ommegang Hennepin, 3 Mont, and Jolly Pumpkin Oro del Calabaza and Luciernaga. Jolly Pumpkin bottle conditions their beers and they all have a little bit of funk, so they might gush when opening the bottle. This does put on a good show for guests.

ETA... What is your Thanksgiving menu? Maybe we can pair beers with each course or dish.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Here's my menu; beer with the main meal, not in courses but served family-style.

After a shopping trip to the best beer place around, I tried my first candidate today: Bellhaven Scottish Ale. It grew on me, the malty, bready aromas and flavors giving way to a slight smokiness -- less smoke than I expected, in fact. I think I'd like a little more carbonation and/or alcohol, but it's a contender for sure.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Settling into the list, I think, due to several factors, including getting a few bottles from someone who wants them served at Thanksgiving. That means that the excellent St. Feuillien brune reserve will wait for next year, or Christmas, or.... I also was unable to find many of the (helpful -- thanks!) suggestions here.

So, we'll be having the Bellhaven Ale, Sierra Nevada Tumbler and NH Harvest, and the Rogue Smoke Ale, which was recommended by a salesperson and gets nice reviews over at BeerAdvocate. Will report back, perhaps with a tear in my eye about that St. F. :hmmm:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I know you already settled on your list, but if anyone else comes through here looking for ideas, let me recommend Allagash Tripel. I was pleasantly surprised at the lightness of it, and thought it would go very well with a poultry dinner. I mean, it was light for a tripel, which is completely relative. It was a fairly high ABV, but completely drinkable, not boozy, a little dry, lemony and spicy, and played well with the food we were eating.

Edited by Lilija (log)

I just picked up a growler of Half Acre's Daisy Cutter for Thanksgiving day. Likely an inappropriate choice with the turkey itself, but considering how good this beer is, I'll let it speak for itself. Will finish up with a GI Vanilla BCBS.

I love Southern Tier's Pumking, I've saved some of that for the big day - but it's so sweet, it will probably be reserved for dessert.

I also have a handful of The Bruery's Autumn Maple - which is brewed with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins. That will probably go along with the dinner.

Mm, Pumking is a personal favorite of mine.

I had some Dogfish Head Raison De'Etre, and the raisins you mentioned reminded me, I bet this one would go great with the big turkey dinner. It's a complex raisiny molassesy sort of flavor, not too sweet, and a bit of spice, but it's not at all heavy.

Unfortunately, my area cannot get access to Southern Tier, but if you're in the Midwest and looking for the best pumpkin beer, Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale is definitely the one to try. I've sampled all the varieties we can get our hands on, and that one definitely tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass...not just pumpkin pie spice. Not to mention, at 8% ABV, it's a nice nightcap!

• 7 months later...

if anyone is in or near the Niagara Region, you need to check out The Merchant Ale House. They make some of the most amazing stuff Ive ever had including seasonal beers. Right now they have Ginger Ale, and my god.... Its gorgeous!!! If you can find anything by Unibroue I would recommend a lot of their stuff, in particular their Noire De Chambly, which is a Belgian Black beer and their Ephemere Apple. Its a lighter beer, but has notes of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Trois Pistoles is another good one from them.

Alex