• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Thing You've Eaten All Day

weinoo

I've got one week left 'til I start my new job. I'm house bound, wasting time, not unpacking the boxes that are demanding my attention.

I have found time to cook, but Monday's are left-over days in this household so I got busy:

I shelled the bowl of edamame, sliced some chinese sausage on the bias and mixed it into the vinegared Haiga rice. I miked it hot and folded in some sliced scallion. I filled my bowl, topped it with Nori/Sesame rice sprinkles, a piece of broiled Unagi and two fried eggs. In hindsight it should have been chinese sausage OR Unagi and not the two combined. This dish is a variation of my Hawaiian Eggs, which omits the Unagi and Chinese sausage and replaces it with small chunks of Spam fried in sesame oil and lots of scallions garnishing the top. Truly delicious if you dare to open a can of Spam let alone be caught buying one.

I managed to stick to the fruit bowl for the afternoon then dinner was reheated Cochinita Pibil, plain rice and cilantro lime Slaw. I almost made it to bed before I opened the Ikea Amondy: a butter cream, almond, Daim chocolate bar, mini cakey thang we bought on our last furniture splurge. My kids caught me, and it was "Gone in 60 seconds".

"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the object it loves."

- Carl Jung, Psychologist (1875 - 1961)

"Don't Play with your food."

- Parents, all over the world

I have to admit a carried over fondness for dinosaur chicken nuggets (part of my otherwise healthy and tasty dinner last night), but more so, the cheapest, most preservative and chemical laden ones I can find. Now, I often eat them with homemade ketchups, but still revel in the childhood memories that the breaded extruded shapes bring back.

Oh my......after a medical appointment (mercifully NOT as unpleasant as DanM's), several errands, only one of which was completed successfully, I realized I was absolutely famished. I had intended to grab a sandwich or salad at Trader Joe's, but since they were out of what I actually went there for, I blew off the food as well.

Unfortunately, on my way home was the siren song of Carl's Jr. And I realized I hadn't had one of their Western bacon cheeseburgers in forever, and I used to think they were pretty good. In I pulled, as if drawn by magnets. One medium size Western bacon cheeseburger combo, please.

The burger was good, and their fries have really improved recently. But about 1/2-way through each of them, I was really done with the taste, especially of the burger. I finished them both, because I'd paid for it.

Now I feel like I've got a lead ballon in my tummy. Don't know if its the grease, sugar (from the massive Coke you get with a "medium"), or the salt or what, but I am still uncomfortably full, 2 & 1/2 hours, and a 30 minute dog walk, later.

But I did enjoy it.....and it'll kill my cravings for it for another year or so.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 2 weeks later...

made steel cut oat meal using both the rice cooker and slow cooker method. I am determine to find a method for cooking oatmeal that does not turn it into a gloppy blue mess. These tow methods however were not it. I still ate it but I had to really control my gag reflex. I cannot stand slimy and gluey foods. The highlight is that with steel cut oat meal you get those pearls of bites that remind me of tapioca balls. Love them. HHowever, the other texture was just too much.

Is there a way to cook oatmeal and not get it slimy/gluey?

Soup

• 2 months later...

What with a lingering and severe cold, a dissertation to copyedit, congenital sloth, and my boyfriend's currently being away at a conference and having recently returned from Kiev with a stupendous array of chocolates (also vodka, and, I kid you not, Crimean chamapne), I've been living for the past couple of days on increasing numbers of chocolates, as the real food gave out, and I couldn't work up a head of steam to go out to shop. So, today I ploughed my way through a bunch of whiskey truffles, and feel... not entirely well.

I'm not complaining, it just seemed worthy of this thread. The interesting thing is that if I eat only chocolate, I don't eat very much in total (the calorie count for the past few days has been going down, rather than up, to today's low of about 800).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Is there something inherently bad about fried foods? Or is it just the suspect provenance of the cooking oils, chicken etc?

As for me... I was in a rush yesterday and went through the Fast Junk drive through at JITB. The Grilled Egg, Bacon & Cheese sandwich I consider a reasonable thing to eat (albeit what the hell is in "American Cheese" right?)... and I am sure the bread wasn't exactly baked with 4 ingredients... where I really fct up was ordering the Churros... there was of course an odd chemically flavor in the dough & filling, the oil tasted fairly rancid... and I ate every single one - I need help :sad:

made steel cut oat meal using both the rice cooker and slow cooker method. I am determine to find a method for cooking oatmeal that does not turn it into a gloppy blue mess. These tow methods however were not it. I still ate it but I had to really control my gag reflex. I cannot stand slimy and gluey foods. The highlight is that with steel cut oat meal you get those pearls of bites that remind me of tapioca balls. Love them. HHowever, the other texture was just too much.

Is there a way to cook oatmeal and not get it slimy/gluey?

Soup

I prepare Steel Cut oats in a Le Creuset.. use beef broth instead of water, it cooks about 25 minutes... take off the heat add shredded Gruyere or jack to taste.. the texture & flavor are fantastic.

Savory Oatmeal is starting to get trendy.. but don't let the annoying exuberance of the lady on Spendid Table, or the unbearable Nigella Lawson put you off it... Savory Oatmeal is THE ORIGINAL method of preparing Oats since before Pre-Historic Scotland was home to the Picts.

There is an explosion of faddish recipes for savory oatmeal in the interwebs... the ancient celts saw it as a canvas for whatever was available.. smoked fish, braised beef, native root vegetables etc. in this spirit I eat it as a canvas for whatever strongly flavored leftovers I have at home...

Chicken in Roasted Poblano sauce? Check

Shrimp in Thai Green Curry? Check

Scallops in Vodka Sauce? Check

Anything that would work with tortillas, rice or pasta generally works with a simply cooked savory oatmeal.