• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Thing You've Eaten All Day

weinoo

Candy. Lifesavers Gummies and Twix minis. Among others.

So my work [which is not at all food related, I work in apparel] keeps tons of candy around. We send candy in little baggies out in all boxes to buyers, etc. Today was candy refill day so all the good stuff was available. And I was stressed, so I indulged a bit much. :wacko:

ETA--this morning I was locked out of the pottery studio I go to, so I walked to McD's and had a large coffee with two creams and hash browns. Hadn't had coffee with cream or hash browns in ages. And that meal was probably my other half of my WW points for today. Very bad, I am.

I can't speak to the cream, but I am convinced that McD's hash browns shouldn't count against you. Resistance is futile when it comes to those vaguely rectangular cakes of crispy greasy goodness.

I ate some Sao biscuits today. No, not decadent, but honestly, the box would taste as good. My only excuse is that it was past lunch and I hadn't had anything to eat yet today, and it was either them or the milk arrowroots (shudder).

What does that mean, "worst?" Worst tasting or most unhealthy? The other day I ate some Kettle sweet onion potato chips. For dinner. They were absolutely delicious, but definitely the least nutritious thing I ate that day, except perhaps for the glass of Old Overholt that I drank with them. Rye is a whole grain, right? All in all a very good meal. But if my doctor asked me what I ate for dinner I would probably not confess.

The worst tasting thing I put in my mouth and chew on a regular basis is assorted berry flavored Tums. There's only so many pills a person can stand to swallow. Now those are disgusting.

The worst: White Castle bacon cheeseburger, followed by a double cheeseburger. And they didn't even taste good. I just had a craving for them. The other item I just threw out: Land O'Lakes fat free half and half. I read the label and it had all kinds of ingredients in addition to milk and cream. Didn't know what they were, but just didn't sound like something I should ingest. I'm sticking to local/regional dairy 1/2-1/2 from now on. Only 2 ingredients in those.

"Asian" snack mix (assorted rice crackers with a vaguely teriyaki-tasting glaze) in a plastic bag from the stop-and-rob, en route from one meeting to another. With a Diet Coke.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A spoonful (or three) of honey roasted peanut butter (from Kauffman's at the Reading Terminal Market) then dipped in the jar of Nutella.

Oh delicious.... so I guess that it fits under most unhealthy not least tasty

I will heading out on the road tonight so I am planing on eating a McRib sandwich :wub: for dinner. Whoo-hoo! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Typically I find myself eating the worst foods (sometimes taste, sometimes health-wise) when I'm busy spending they day preparing an awesome meal for later. For instance, yesterday I made a full prime rib dinner for a couple people...while picking up all the supplies at the store I grabbed a crappy sandwich and a bag of doritos at the supermarket so I'd have something eat while I made the bordelaise and creamed spinach in the afternoon. It's nice not to have to worry about the attention needed to cook one more thing and clean up after it.

Most ironic - I've eaten slim jims while preparing complicated recipes from my french laundry cookbook.

What do you usually eat while cooking?

Progresso lentil soup, coupled with fresh homemade bread. My excuse is that I'm trying to eat as much as I can from the pantry before going to the store, and I'm secretly hoping the quality bread will cancel out the crappy soup.

This morning I ate the IKEA $0.99 breakfast. It was neither good, nor particularly nutritious, nor did I eat it for lack of other options. The eggs were weird.

A couple hours later I ate an IKEA $0.50 hot dog and bought a bag of their frozen Swedish meatballs.

Apple Jacks. Half of the box, or probably close to it. They didn't taste as good as I remembered, they don't have those little cinnamon-y hard bits on the outside any more. I just kept shoveling them into my mouth despite that. Blech.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm not a traditional breakfast person, in that the bacon/egg or cold cereal thing usually doesn't do it for me. I'm content with a slice of last night's pizza, or warming up a small portion of leftover beef stroganoff and noodles.

That being said, breakfast today was two microwaved Nathan's on frankfurter rolls with a touch of Gulden's and a seltzer wash-down.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I was considering making a run to Mickey D's for one of the McRib sandwiches but then I clicked on this link and decided I would pass.

Oy, the title is so right.

25 Heart Stopping Sandwiches

I apologize if someone else has already linked to this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was considering making a run to Mickey D's for one of the McRib sandwiches but then I clicked on this link and decided I would pass.

Oy, the title is so right.

25 Heart Stopping Sandwiches

I apologize if someone else has already linked to this.

And ya know, Andie, they aren't even all that good tasting to be able to justify all the bad stuff.

I mean, they're not like fresh-fried real onion rings, dripping with salt and catsup, or really gooey, cheesy nachos, or fresh-fried zucchini with ranch dressing, or a really, really decadent and gloppy (in a good way) deep-dish pizza. NOw, *THOSE* are worth the sin.

Heck, they aren't even as good as Mickey D's shadow-of-their-former-selves fries. They're just....weird.

There's really not enough in the sandwich to satisfy you, and they don't really taste good, and when you're done you're like, hmmmmm. That was weird.

If I'm going to do food sin (and I do, Lord knows, I *do*), I'm gunna do it with something way better than a McRib.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Yesterday I had a huge honkin piece of baklava just after my colonoscopy. I now have a better appreciation for Kermit the Frog after a long day at the studio, thank you very much. It was from a Greek diner next to the medical center and was just oozing honey. At that point I had not eaten in close to 36 hours... It was SO darn good. Then my wife stopped by the Taqueria and bought me a vegetable empanada.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I omitted dinner last evening, although I did have a small scoop of homemade yogurt an hour before bedtime so this morning I was a bit peckish on awakening rather early.

I mixed up a batch of biscuits and while they were baking made sausage gravy with four ounces of sausage left over from a couple of days ago.

I limited myself to two biscuits topped by a poached egg and an appropriate amount of gravy and gave the remainder to the dog, who made it disappear instantaneously.

Not the best breakfast in the world but very satisfying.

I too have one of those procedures scheduled in the near future and I am not looking forward to it.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

*Although I just realized that I promised DBF that I'd take him to his favorite gourmet dive bar for his birthday, so that may not be the worst of my day. I suspect dinner will be a tempura-battered deep-fried burger covered in spicy asian coleslaw, with onion rings and beer.

This sounds interesting! Is the entire burger battered and fried, or just the patty? Is it beef?

The burger is cooked to order, then battered and deep fried. This burger is a wonderful textural thing - soft medium rare burger, wrapped in a crispy battered crust, crunchy slaw with creamy dressing. Mmmm...

It's terrible for you, I'm sure. Although not as bad as the burger my brother ate that was a 1/3# beef patty, fried eggs, cheese, bacon and sliced jalapenos, book-ended by 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Typically I find myself eating the worst foods (sometimes taste, sometimes health-wise) when I'm busy spending they day preparing an awesome meal for later.

I do this too. Last night I ate 2 day old garlic cheese bread from a weekend pizza delivery (microwaved, no less, as my toaster oven is out of order) to hold me over until the homemade minestrone was done.

I regret nothing.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest