• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Thing You've Eaten All Day

weinoo

I try, really I do. To eat properly, that is. For instance, my breakfast today was "real" oatmeal, a banana, blueberries, raisins, maple syrup (yes, real) and plain yogurt. Along with 2 cups of freshly brewed Stumptown, of course.

Then, for lunch, Italian tuna on a bed of greens, carrots, celery, etc. Lemon juice squeezed atop. A little leftover wild mushroom soup to accompany and a few slices of fresh baguette.

Why, then, do I find the need to run to the freezer and have a Low-Fat Fudgsicle? I know, I know, why is it even in my freezer? Good question.

Anyway, containing ingredients such as tricalcium phosphate, mono & diglycerides, polysorbate 80 and polysorbate 65 (OK, like it's not enough to contain the 80, it's gotta have the 65 too?!), it is easily the worst thing I've eaten, and plan to eat, all day.

And you?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you count the last 24 hours -- which I will do for the sake of contribution -- it's easy: the Chinois Chicken Salad at Wolfie-To-Go in LAX. Just because it was the best option available doesn't mean it wasn't wretched.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I vote that airport food doesn't count: the extremely lame breakfast I had at the O'Hare Chili's yesterday should be stricken from memory, permanently. Today I don't think I have plans for anything so horrible, though the way things are going I may wind up with frozen pizza for dinner. And no, not of the homemade variety.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Yesterday afternoon, about 4:30pm, i hit the hungries and wasn't going to be eating until about 8pm so thought I should have a snack... well a while ago I bought some Kraft Easy Mac in nacho cheese flavour (because the original isn't artificial and processed enough?!).

As soon as I sprinkled the bright orange powder into the noodles, I had second thoughts. It did kind of hit the spot, since it was cheesy and salty like I wanted, so maybe it doesn't really belong here, but I pondered why I would do that to myself.

Hmm. I had a reasonably virtuous day. Although, before dinner, I was sitting on the floor of the pantry cleaning up a huge spilled container of cereal, when my husband walked by and stuffed a "jalapeño popper" flavored cheese puff thing into my mouth.

well a while ago I bought some Kraft Easy Mac in nacho cheese flavour (because the original isn't artificial and processed enough?!).

As soon as I sprinkled the bright orange powder into the noodles, I had second thoughts.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about :smile:.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yesterday we were on an 8-hour drive back from Tennessee. There was a disappointing stop at our (perhaps ex-)favorite BBQ place in Dyersburg (the low point is best characterized as 'candied rib jerky'). But the truly shameful part was the 9 pm package of Nutty Bars.

At least it lived up to expectations, unlike the ribs (so sad).

Chicken fingers from a generic sports bar for lunch. Dipped in ranch dressing, no less. But I kinda figure, there's no point picking something healthy-ish from the menu when trapped at one of these places (had to go there to support my brother's professional soccer team). Most likely, it'll be terrible. Might as well just embrace the fried bar-menu goodness. And then fight the subsequent gross, post-lunch bloated fatigue.

*Although I just realized that I promised DBF that I'd take him to his favorite gourmet dive bar for his birthday, so that may not be the worst of my day. I suspect dinner will be a tempura-battered deep-fried burger covered in spicy asian coleslaw, with onion rings and beer.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I know it doesn't count as Today, but my last 24 hours consisted of lovely food, except for the worst part that came in the end.

So I made some piyaz and meatballs, but not just any meatball. See, in Turkey, we supposedly have almost 300 types of meatballs; yet one of the only two that you will find in "köfte" places in the big cities will be the new & popular one that is of elastic nature and very good flavor. So I asked around for the recipe and found the trick; so I had to try that. Another food mystery solved.

Since I quit sugar in my tea, my sweet tooth has been giving me some pain. So after dinner, I had a pear and an apple, hoping that they would help. Didn't cut it. That's when I eyed the very bad chocolate coins that a friend got from the airport or something. We I guess I had like a total of 4 Euros. Not so bad.

Since I only had a great goat cheese, whole grain mustard and sucuk sandwich today, I declare the overly sweet chocolate to be the worst of my latest 24 hours.

Edited by salvodaze (log)

Since I only had a great goat cheese, whole grain mustard and sucuk sandwich today, I declare the overly sweet chocolate to be the worst of my latest 24 hours.

Hi salvodaze and welcome to eGullet.org and the forums!

Since so much of your food sounds exotic and, quite frankly, delicious, I agree wholeheartedly that your chocolate Euro coins had to be the worst thing you ate all day.

And I sure hope we hear a lot more about your cooking and dining adventures.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

With a nice dinner on tap for tonight (sous vide lamb shanks with ras al hanout, a pomegranate tomato sauce, rabe with raisins, ginger honey carrots, and brown rice), and a decent bowl of raisin bran for breakfast, I'm quite certain that the ranch dressing I'm about to put on a bowl of raw vegetables here at school will be coming in last. Now, if I were to go near that "pizza" that's also being served.....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There's still some leftover Halloween candy in the office kitchen. I will probably polish of a couple Reeses PB cups, a box of Smarties, and a caramel square or two before I head home. That's pretty bad.

Pfeffernüsse, not so bad. The worst thing today, though. It's only 2:30, and I know it'll be the worst thing. Because I ate nine of them. This is the best time of year, because I'm not gorged out on holiday cooking and cookies, but the good stuff is in the stores already.

I've been gorging myself on Halloween candy since the beginning of September. And in the last week I have had three Starbucks Frappuccinnos, after not having had one for probably a year.

On top of that, I ate 4 scones yesterday. Ok, they were homemade and had apple and gruyere in them, but still. I also had (for lunch), Biscuits, covered with bacon, scrambled eggs, & cheddar, then smothered in cream gravy, alongside hash browns. Dinner was one of the aforementioned scones, and some pasta with a little butter, garlic, red pepper flakes and parmesan.

What are these fruit and vegetable things that some people talk about?

*Although I just realized that I promised DBF that I'd take him to his favorite gourmet dive bar for his birthday, so that may not be the worst of my day. I suspect dinner will be a tempura-battered deep-fried burger covered in spicy asian coleslaw, with onion rings and beer.

This sounds interesting! Is the entire burger battered and fried, or just the patty? Is it beef?

I had one piece of KFC and fries yesterday. I actually liked it, but my WW plan didn't. That's my entire points allotment in one tiny meal.

Today I had 3 pieces of hum soi gok. It was tasteless, but it was fried and anything fried is good. That's the rule. But again, my WW plan didn't approve, although this time, it was maybe only half my WW points.

ETA--this morning I was locked out of the pottery studio I go to, so I walked to McD's and had a large coffee with two creams and hash browns. Hadn't had coffee with cream or hash browns in ages. And that meal was probably my other half of my WW points for today. Very bad, I am.

Edited by prasantrin (log)