• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Artisanal" Holiday Presents

Mostly Enstrom copycat toffee coated in bittersweet chocolate. Confectionery partner and Barbara will begin next week. Also two new recipes I found on this Toronto site, www.closetcooking.com/‎ , shortbreads, one based on orange and the other on lime. Oh, and chocolate-dipped ginger slices. That should do it.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm not doing much this year as the local folks who usually get baskets are away for the month. I will take one large one to the senior center - a couple of stollen loaves, some simple cookies, my plain cocoa cookies, and some home- blended teas with spices and etc.

I've made a couple of cheese logs but some of the folks there don't like to eat cheese so I may save those for something else.

I've been invited to the home of some ex-neighbors for a day but was instructed to bring "just myself" as it is to be a day of making tamales for the big family celebration. I'm invited to that also but considering that I will be more than sufficiently fed the previous day, I will probably stay home.

Including me in the tamale-making event is something I consider an honor for a non-Mexican.

There will also be construction of several varieties of empanadas...

I've already made a large batch of candied ginger and candied orange and lemon peel.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The last 6 pounds of the candied ginger just out of the dehydrator. Left it a bit longer than usual so it is just a bit darker and a bit dryer, not as flexible as usual.

HPIM5516.JPG

HPIM5518.JPG

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Tomorrow I'm doing my "not a fruitcake", which is a sweet bread with dates, candied cherries, nuts and chocolate chips. The recipe, which was my Mom's, calls it Bishop's Bread. Why, I have no clue. I always have to warn people that it's "not a fruitcake", since so many are put off by the the day-glo red and green cherries ! But it just isn't the same without them.

I'll also make some cranberry-hot pepper jelly, which I found in Bon Appetit several years ago. Hot, tart and sweet. It's great as a condiment, and works really well over cream cheese as an appetizer.

Cookies, of course....I think 6 or 8 varieties this year.

Pierogies, also of course. 3 varieties (potato/cheese, mushroom/sauerkraut, ground beef/mushroom/onion/kraut), shared with special friends ONLY.

And I'd like to try my hand at pickled cocktail onions, canning them in a hot water bath. If for no other reason than I'd like some for my own cocktails.....

• Like 1

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Tomorrow I'm doing my "not a fruitcake", which is a sweet bread with dates, candied cherries, nuts and chocolate chips. The recipe, which was my Mom's, calls it Bishop's Bread. Why, I have no clue. I always have to warn people that it's "not a fruitcake", since so many are put off by the the day-glo red and green cherries ! But it just isn't the same without them.

I confess, the day-glo red and green cherries are always off-putting to me, but I recognize them as being traditional. :-) Peirogi, your "Bishop's Bread" sounds like a Christmas stollen except for the chocolate chips. Does it taste like that? Maybe she tweaked a stollen recipe and gave the name an appropriate twist?

I love your description of the pierogies, even though I cut them out of the quoted part. Sauerkraut in pierogis! How I wish I'd made more kraut last fall!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Made the Orange Cookies Dipped in Chocolate for the neighbors up the road. Beauties. And yummy too. Made the glace orange bits first (thanks to first eG mentor Andiesenji)

P1010001_34.JPG

P1010003_01.JPG

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Beautiful, Darienne. Makes me feel lazy for not yet getting around to baking cookies. However, I have measured out the dry ingredients for four kinds into ziplock bags and stored each in a jumbo bag along with the recipes.

Even with just a few batches, doing this saves so much time and aggravation if one finds there is not enough (or any) of a particular ingredient.

When I used to prepare more than a dozen varieties, it was absolutely necessary - of course I was still working then - but the "production line" method helps a great deal.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

Ingredients in the Ziplock bags sounds good. Monday is Toffee day and I think I'll measure out the ingredients before partner Barbara gets here. We have quite a lot to accomplish and I could do this tomorrow.

Laughed when I found an old eG topic which I started on whether I could double or triple my toffee recipe. Had completely forgotten about that one.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 years later...

How about we start this thread again. 

Im making fudge with and without nuts, peanut brittle, cashew brittle, toffee, bourbon balls, Mexican wedding balls, choc chip pretzel nut cookies, butter cookies,  caramel fudge, dilled oyster crackers,  spices pretzels, hot chocolate mix, chai mix, peppermint bark

• Like 1

Still pondering on mine (treat-making is next week) but on the possible/probable list:

• jarred pickled quail eggs and knockwurst
  • Cranberry pepper jelly (already made)
  • pub cheese with horseradish
  • A selection of sweet breads, both yeast and quick. Found a cashew date yeast bread that intrigues me
  • Pseudo Raincoast Crisp crackers
  • Possibly -- jarred deviled ham 
  • Toffee
  • Pralines
  • Martha Washington candies
  • Assorted cookies, including meringues from the egg whites I still have frozen from last year's eggnog extravaganza
  • Peanut butter fudge
  • Chex mix

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com