• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Artisanal" Holiday Presents

I had some success with my own herb-infused olive oils last Christmas.

I've seen a couple of recipes (even followed one!) but the basic thing is to get the oil above 90 Celsius to kill, or at least annoy, any bugs on the herbs (which you've already washed to get rid of the bigger ones). You'll need a selection of bottles (250ml is about right), some oil of your choice and sprigs of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, tarragon, bay, ...).

The first method I used was to heat the herbs in the oil, but you may then have problems getting them into the bottle - they may be slightly crunchy and tend to fall apart. I think the way I'll do it next time is to put the herbs in their bottles and pour the heated oil on top. I may not get quite as much flavour (need to prove this one way or the other), but I expect to have less trouble getting the herbs to stay herby-looking.

Sounds like a good idea to heat the oil so as to infuse more of the herb flavor into the oil. Perhaps you could do this and then pour the flavored oil over the fresh herbs( after it has cooled of course) that you have already packed into the bottles thus giving the additional boost of flavor, while still maintaining the beauty of the fresh herbs.

Edited by caroled (log)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

My wife and I ususally make rumrum balls for friends and family (no typo on the rumrum, we make them quite strong.) they are also a hit here with my colleagues here in Japan.

This year I was also thinking of preparing some pancetta. I'd better get a move on though if I want it cured and hung on time.

At the moment, I'm working on a rosolio with rose petals and vanilla (recipe from Libation by Deirdre Heekin, which I enthusisatically recommend) as well as a blackberry, orange and cinnamon ratafia. Will be digging out my "Fancy Pantry" soon for more ideas -a great book. I am NOT making dilly beans - that's my sister's job! Also, a near-total lack of tomatoes here has crimped my style severely. Not the best year for gardens in the sodden Northeast.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

Calling all knitters. I read this post, and immediately thought felted skillet handle holders. I found some ugly wool, which would felt nicely (but would mix nicely with other wool). I'm wondering if folks thing it would his is a good idea, and if anyone has an idea for how much it shrinks. Think shrinking length and width. I'm thinking it would shrink more in length than width, but I could be wrong. I envision two sides, with a single (or perhaps double) crochet edge to hold the two pieces together, and then being felted in the washer. Strikes me as a good way to use up leftover wool that isn't enough for a Big Project. With perhaps a loop thingie so that you can hang it on the oven handle so you don't forget and leave a layer of your palm on the handle of the skillet?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Calling all knitters. I read this post, and immediately thought felted skillet handle holders. I found some ugly wool, which would felt nicely (but would mix nicely with other wool). I'm wondering if folks thing it would his is a good idea, and if anyone has an idea for how much it shrinks. Think shrinking length and width. I'm thinking it would shrink more in length than width, but I could be wrong. I envision two sides, with a single (or perhaps double) crochet edge to hold the two pieces together, and then being felted in the washer. Strikes me as a good way to use up leftover wool that isn't enough for a Big Project. With perhaps a loop thingie so that you can hang it on the oven handle so you don't forget and leave a layer of your palm on the handle of the skillet?

Snowangel, I am most CERTAINLY not a knitter, but I think you're on a good track. I can't offer any technical help about shrinkage, et al, but I'd certainly use one. I think the only real issue is to make sure that the yarn is hefty enough so that each side of the "cozy" is sufficiently thick to absorb the heat from the handle. Definate YES on the loop thingie. Mine have small loops that I hang on the same hook as my regular hot pads/oven mitts so that they're readily accessible (and more importantly, visible). Can't wait to see the outcome.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Brilliant, Susan! Knit a test handle (for you, I know that's about ten minutes) and felt it. Then you'll get the parameters. (And, yes, a loop,)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Marmish, thanks for the link. Sounds like a perfect idea for a quilter to make, since I don't know of a single quilter who doesn't have a large stash of fabric, and it would be a good way to use up odds and ends.

Back to my pan handle idea. I'm thinking that for sewers, there's no reason not to sew these out of quilted fabric -- either purchased or cut up an old ratty quilt. Cut to size, stitch and finish the stitched edge with bias tape. Or, if you have an old ratty or ugly sweater that you want to get rid of, as long as it's wool (not superwash or synthetic), run it through the washer and dryer until it seems properly felted, cut to size and sew together. Properly felted wool will not ravel!

Here's another idea, food and not needlecraft related. Homemade tomato soup (and an especially good idea now that it's tomato bounty season in the N. Hemisphere):

14 quarts of cut up tomatoes (no need to seed or peel)

14 stalks celery

14 pieces parsley

14 bay leaves

1 large onion, roughly whacked up

Simmer until everything is tender; run through the food mill and reserve.

In another pot, make a rous:

14 T. butter

14 T. flour

Then add reserved tomato mixture and:

salt to taste (about 8 T)

4 T. paprika

1/2 c. sugar (or to taste.

Can (I find that if the soup mixture is hot and the jars are hot, you probably won't need to do a water bath, but I usually do! When you reheat the soup, add milk or half and half (about 3/4 soup, 1/2 dairy).

Give jars of this for gifts, along with a good loaf of bread and cheese for grilled cheese and tomato soup. A nice change from all of the sweet stuff people seem to give.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not doing my black cakes this year -- last year's was perfection and now I'm on to something new.

I'm thinking gingerbread.

I went to a presentation on the apertif book mentioned above -- she brought samples of her rosolio -- I ended up making a plum elixir out of vodka and cognac. It's mind bogglingly delicious and barely sweet. But I doubt that I'll give any of it away unless you are sitting on my couch drinking it with me.

Now that I've got it down, I'll try some more.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I'm not doing my black cakes this year -- last year's was perfection and now I'm on to something new.

We once had black cake at a Christmas dinner and I thought it was wonderful. Could I please have a recipe for your black cake? Perhaps I could make them for my artisanal gifts this year. Attribution included, of course. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm wondering about the martini picks. Aren't the heavy glass beads at the end a problem when it comes to keeping the picks in the martini glass? Doesn't the weight of the beads pull the picks out of the glass and send the whole shebang crashing to the floor?

Jaymes, I think that you are talking about my picks. I intended them as appetizer picks rather than martini picks. But...if you used little mini beads that weren't very heavy, that might be a great idea. I want to find someone who teaches that wire art thing - where the thick wire (that looks like soldering wire) and beads are wrapped around serving items. A couple of martini glasses and a silver cocktail shaker decorated with those and a couple of picks would make a wonderful gift! Hmmmmm.... :biggrin:

Marmish, thanks for the link. Sounds like a perfect idea for a quilter to make, since I don't know of a single quilter who doesn't have a large stash of fabric, and it would be a good way to use up odds and ends.

Guilty as charged! Tomato soup sounds delicious.

I'm wondering about the martini picks. Aren't the heavy glass beads at the end a problem when it comes to keeping the picks in the martini glass? Doesn't the weight of the beads pull the picks out of the glass and send the whole shebang crashing to the floor?

Jaymes, I think that you are talking about my picks. I intended them as appetizer picks rather than martini picks. But...if you used little mini beads that weren't very heavy, that might be a great idea. I want to find someone who teaches that wire art thing - where the thick wire (that looks like soldering wire) and beads are wrapped around serving items. A couple of martini glasses and a silver cocktail shaker decorated with those and a couple of picks would make a wonderful gift! Hmmmmm.... :biggrin:

You should be able to find a Gem & Mineral show in your area - There is one in Harrisonburg Oct 23-25 - or check in the listings of Lapidary Journal http://www.jewelryshowguide.com/event/results.php?letter=&category_id=34&screen=1

Most shows have at least one wire-wrap demo artist and you can get just about any supplies your need.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is so exciting pour moi. :rolleyes: Thanks to Lindacakes and the internet, I am now starting my first ever Caribbean Black Cake for Christmas. It's basically for our daughter's boyfriend who came to Canada from Grenada. He will be so surprised. Now can he cook!!! Cuts everything in his hand the way his Grandmother taught him!

Pounds and pounds of candied this and that macerating in bottles of booze for a month or two. What could be more enticing?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

At the moment, I'm working on a rosolio with rose petals and vanilla (recipe from Libation by Deirdre Heekin, which I enthusisatically recommend) as well as a blackberry, orange and cinnamon ratafia. Will be digging out my "Fancy Pantry" soon for more ideas -a great book. I am NOT making dilly beans - that's my sister's job! Also, a near-total lack of tomatoes here has crimped my style severely. Not the best year for gardens in the sodden Northeast.

Could you please explain how to make ratafia? As someone who's read Geogette Heyer to ragged shreds, I've always wanted to know how to make it.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

You should be able to find a Gem & Mineral show in your area - There is one in Harrisonburg Oct 23-25 - or check in the listings of Lapidary Journal http://www.jewelryshowguide.com/event/results.php?letter=&category_id=34&screen=1

Most shows have at least one wire-wrap demo artist and you can get just about any supplies your need.

Thank you, so much! This is a craft I really want to learn - I am good at color choice and arranging things, but not terribly artistic, so I think this is the thing for me! :rolleyes:

I'm new to eGullet today! I'm working on my Christmas liqueurs; way behind schedule infusing the limoncello.

Welcome, Kifkin, and thanks for reminding me about the limoncello schedule.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Kim, you can get pattern books that show exactly how to measure, cut and wrap beads of different shapes and you can get a very inexpensive wire-bending jig that will make the task much easier and a micro soldering iron is also inexpensive but invaluable.

This is just one of many vendors: http://therockshed.com/wirewrap.html

and here is another: http://www.firemountaingems.com/aboutus/pressrelease.asp?docid=PR071008

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this topic up to ask what folks are doing/have done for holiday presents this year.

I've made a big batch (15 pounds) of my "famous or infamous" candied ginger.(depends on if one likes ginger :laugh:)

Some candied citrus peel: Orange, lemon, grapefruit and lime. (Yet again the lime did not turn out so good but at least better than in previous experiments.)

I've prepared a batch of mostarda di frutta but have yet to jar it up.

There is a liter of honey presently being infused with blackseed (nigella sativa), lavender, sage and ginger. Not sure if this is going to be finished in time to give for this holiday. (It's supposed to be healthy - supports the immune system-whatever! :blink: )

There is a 3-liter batch of cherry cordial, the same amount of peach cordial and 2-liters of blackberry cordial ready to be bottled.

Also assorted dried fruits, small amounts of glacé fruits, assorted nuts treated in various ways to make them more interesting. :unsure:

And then there are the cookies. I have several batches ready to mix, some dough that needs to "mature" in the refrigerator prior to shaping and baking, and some that may simply be semi-prepped and given as a "kit" to the recipients.

Fruitcakes are on the agenda for this coming weekend when I will have a helper.

I'll probably do some other baked goods but have not yet decided on exactly what.

So what is everyone else doing? Interested parties want to know!! :wub:

For me, more peach raspberry jam, and some peach raspberry syrup (jam that didn't thicken properly). A couple of weeks before Christmas, I will once again make about 300 potstickers to package as gifts (weather here makes it possible to easily give frozen gifts) along with dipping sauce and chicken stock.

I've been embroidering dishtowels (thank you, Aunt Martha!) -- averaging about 1 to 1.5 per month -- which I will use in lieu of gift wrap for 15 gifts.

I've also made some casserole totes, and I will post the dimensions when I have a minute. I've used old quilts (cut up) or felted wool. A good use for an old wool coat that was looking a bit threadbare around the neck and cuffs.

Oh, and I've also knit and felted a mess of potholders.

The Specialty Bottle folks are reliable and have good prices. No minimum on orders.

Thanks so much for this! I just bought three dozen 4 oz bottles for this year's projects (pimento dram, pineapple rum, hot sauce, vanilla extract).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

We brewed some Lemon Wheat Beer that we planned on giving as gifts, but it's almost gone. So, we made more that won't be ready 'till Christmas so maybe we will gift some of that batch. I need to find something to make that I dont like, cookies and beer are not the answer.

merry happy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association