• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking Help Identifying Xian Street Food

DLim

n4600461_30942240_9603.jpg

Anyone know what that stuff is? I've been trying to figure it out since about 10 minutes after I ate it in the Muslim Quarter of Xi'an in late 2008. It's some kind of starch, mashed or rolled very small, and chewy mutton or lamb or some other strong-flavored meat. I think it had a five-spice powder flavor, or at least star anise. The receptionists at my hostel told me the starch was wheat, but their grasp of non-hostel related English was limited, so I can't be sure of the accuracy of that information.

Yeah it was DELICIOUS, and I'd like to make some attempt at replicating it, but clearly I need a little more information before I step down that path...I googled everything I could think of back in 2008, but didn't find anything.

Anyone have a clue? Or know of a better place to pose this question? Cheers!

edit: hmm guess maybe this should've gone in China: dining. Sorry! Though I am looking for a recipe...

Edited by DLim (log)

Did they serve it to you hot and in a bag after forming into a kind of ball? I've seen that done on the street in Guilin (Guangxi Province) with glutinous rice, chili, sausage and little fried crispy bits, which is traditionally called Nuo Mi Ji (糯米鸡). Since it's street food, the variations on a theme can be too numerous for even mainlanders not from the immediate area to recognize, as was the case with my Nuomiji in Guilin and possibly your mutton matter in Xi'an.

Btw, I used to live there. Have you tried the Lamb Soup garnished with ripped up pieces of pita/nang bread? Very tasty.

I'm pretty sure I got it in a bowl, and there was some kind of optional bread(?). This guy didn't form it into a ball, but I think it was sticky enough that you could have done it. I'll definitely look up Nuo Mi Ji and see if it fits the bill.

Yeah, definitely tried the lamb soup a few times, and some goopy breakfast soup too as I recall.

Thanks for the info!