• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Growing herbs in phoenix?

I hope that this is the right catagory for this. I have found that it is difficult finding information sources for growing herbs in the desert climate. I have grown basil successfuly, but have yet to expand (other than rosemary). I have a yard, but also have a dog that loves to eat anything leafy, so I need to put anything I grow in the pool area that faces north.(pots would be protected by the fence)

I would love to hear any suggestions! TIA

Rosemary is the best! It grows like a weed in warm climates (can be upright type or sprawling), is evergreen (can be harvested year-round) and the bigger branches are great added to the grill or smoker.

We had good luck with sage, lemon grass and thyme in Tucson.

(edited for typos)

Edited by xxchef (log)

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Sweet Bay or Laurel nobilis does very well once it is acclimated. I have several well established tree/bushes. The first three years I protected them from the harsh hot winds by wrapping them with shade cloth when we had a wind event during the hottest weather. Now they are hardy and propagating like mad.

I grow several varieties of thyme, sage grows like a weed. Some grow quite large and produce spectacular blooms.

If you can find Cleveland sage, it produces beautiful flower spikes that dry beautifully and will keep for months in an arrangement.

I grow a lot of pineapple sage as it attracts hummingbirds.

Anise hyssop grows nicely.

Any of the herbs that evolved around the Mediterranean sea will do well in your area and they all grow well in pots.

Once established they should not be bothered by dogs. My dogs have always left them alone.

Not so much garlic - most of my basenjis have had a great affinity for garlic and will dig it up and eat is as soon as I plant it.

"Walking" onions grow well in the desert also. I grow them in large shallow planters - the same as the garlic. I grow almost everything in planters and pots so I can use drip irrigation and not waste water.

If you have a shady area, you can grow borage, oregano, marjoram, parsley. They will grow well with less sunlight when you live in the desert.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sweet Bay or Laurel nobilis does very well once it is acclimated. I have several well established tree/bushes. The first three years I protected them from the harsh hot winds by wrapping them with shade cloth when we had a wind event during the hottest weather. Now they are hardy and propagating like mad.

I grow several varieties of thyme, sage grows like a weed. Some grow quite large and produce spectacular blooms.

If you can find Cleveland sage, it produces beautiful flower spikes that dry beautifully and will keep for months in an arrangement.

I grow a lot of pineapple sage as it attracts hummingbirds.

Anise hyssop grows nicely.

Any of the herbs that evolved around the Mediterranean sea will do well in your area and they all grow well in pots.

Once established they should not be bothered by dogs. My dogs have always left them alone.

Not so much garlic - most of my basenjis have had a great affinity for garlic and will dig it up and eat is as soon as I plant it.

"Walking" onions grow well in the desert also. I grow them in large shallow planters - the same as the garlic. I grow almost everything in planters and pots so I can use drip irrigation and not waste water.

If you have a shady area, you can grow borage, oregano, marjoram, parsley. They will grow well with less sunlight when you live in the desert.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Can I start any of these now? They would be in pots and near a wall, therefore very sheltered. Thanks for all the great hints.