• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay in deep financial trouble

Old Timer

I came across this bit of news today.

Here is the source.. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1326046/Gordon-Ramsay-suffers-new-blow-bank-stakes-claim-3m-home.html

It seems Ramsay owes quite a bit of money and has given up ownership of several of his restaurants.

I remember reading recently, that his hew restaurant in London had been delayed as well. That was where the winner of the latest Hells' Kitchen was supposed to work. I think her name was Holli Grieg.

Sounds like he's a good chef, but not good with managing money!

I'm guessing it's more a sign of the economic times. He's extended himself into a large restaurant empire. The domino effect of the individual restaurants suffering hard times at the hands of the economy would add up to a big kick in the finances. If you're pulling from your own pocket to keep a restaurant afloat during slow times or to cover debt if it goes belly-up, it takes it's toll. If you're doing that for a bunch of high-end restaurants, it will take it's toll quickly.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Of course, Ramsay may indeed be struggling, but I wouldn't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail!

There is that...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I think it may end up been the end of him and his empire. His father-in-law has left him, who by all accounts kept the business afloat. His proteges such as Hartnett, Sargeant, Atherton and Wareing have all deserted him. You need great chefs. His flagship restaurant is nothing like it was. Not even on the same planet. The public are sick of his foul-mouthed ways. The media have begun highlighting the "extra-curricular activities" with his mistress and the poor relationship with is wife and kids. He's offended pretty much everyone from here to Mars and back. He's missed charity events and from all accounts has lost his touch in the kitchen - and from what has been said hasn't stepped inside his restaurants for any great period of time for a very long time. The knives are out. And it's not just in the tabloids. It's worldwide in some serious papers. For example, over here he made The Australian - which is what The Times is to England - with a few comment pieces all in a negative light. You can search on Google for articles on him in the past month and they haven't been positive.

Edited by roosterchef21 (log)

His restaurant maze was kicked out of the One&Only hotel in Cape Town a few months back. Apparently it was stipulated in the contract that he needs to make visits bimonthly and he never came to check up on his restaurant even once.

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

Good tabloid fodder that word, "apparently". All the way to saffie twice a month ? They don't even ask professional cabin staff to do it any more often. How big was this restaurant to supposedly support that sort of travel budget ? Was the intention just to make it ridiculously expensive ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I've no clue. Only thing I know for a fact is that maze is no more, and that it has been replaced by a South African chef's restaurant. And the press release was from the hotel the One&Only itself, not some hearsay... But yes, if Gordon Ramsay actually said he would visit South Africa every two months he is a moron.

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

Monsieur Roux was right it seems. You can't maintain standards if you spread yourself so thin and put your mug on TV. Michelin has been rumoured to want to take away his third star in the past. If they do so, then I think that's the end of him, if it isn't already. Once that third star has gone, his reputation as a top class chef has gone. His one key commodity that will continue to sell is his reputation as a chef. Once that reputation and exclusivity leaves him, then all he has left is his temper and philandering ways. No stagiere wants to work with him, especially when there are better restaurants and better chefs around who are in the restaurant regularly. Sure, two Michelin stars is good, but three is that much better. And since his restaurant is barely two now...

Monsieur Roux was right it seems. You can't maintain standards if you spread yourself so thin and put your mug on TV.

Roux appears on Celebrity Masterchef but at the same time, does not spread himself so thin or in such a clownish way as Ramsay. Ramsay's formulaic and ridiculous programmes have certainly lowered his standing as a chef or purveyor of fine food. Ego often gets in the way of success.