• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light vs. Dark Soy Sauce

I'd appreciate some information on the respective roles of light and dark soy sauce in Cantonese cuisine. Are there particular products that are better suited to each type of soy, and how might the intensity and saltiness of soy be affected (if at all) by the cooking method chosen for a product that the soy accompanies? :laugh:

I'd appreciate some information on the respective roles of light and dark soy sauce in Cantonese cuisine. Are there particular products that are better suited to each type of soy, and how might the intensity and saltiness of soy be affected (if at all) by the cooking method chosen for a product that the soy accompanies?  :laugh:

LIGHT VS. DARK SOY

This is an extremely complicated subject for a variety of reasons. First there are so many different kinds and brands of soy. Not only light and dark, but thick, sweet, Phillipine, Chinese, Japanese, Thai etc. Then there are different brewing methods using differing ingredients.

Basically light soy is saltier and thinner while dark has a molasses flavor component and the ability to color dark sauces while using a small amount of soy.

Typically in my cooking, and that of many professional chefs, dark and light soy are mixed. If you want your fired rice to have that dark Americanized look, use more dark soy. If you want a light brown sauce use a lighter color soy, or a smaller quantity of a dark soy. When I'm braising spare ribs with soy, sugar and vinegar, I want a black look with that molasses overtone so I use a dark soy.

Specifically I prefer light Japanese soy - I usually use Kikkoman - and mix it with Chinese dark - usually Amoy Golden Label from HK. Typically for a stir fry I use a 3:1 proportion, light to dark.

When it's available, the Kikkoman which is imported from Japan, is better than our domestically brewed Kikkoman.

Apart from the molasses component, I have detected almost slight alcohol-like aromas in certain Chinese dark soy sauces (perhaps it's the fermentation). I wonder if it's because the soy was stale.  :hmmm:

Don't know - haven't had this experience. But if you want to set up a tasting I'm game.