• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

calamari

sabg

i have only used fresh calamari in the past but have found block frozen at a local restaurant supply and it is significantly cheaper....is it one of those things that does not lose much in the freezing...i want to stuff it and pan saute..anybody use frozen with good or bad results ?

I use frozen. IMO it loses nothing.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

i can believe i am saying this ....but i never asked....i live in fl and its on ice in the fresh section at whole foods so i assumed never frozen but i will def ask..i guess when they say dont assume they mean it...

It is an economically losing proposition to take out a large fishing boat and not load it up with catch due to fuel costs. Since this usually involves several days of fishing the catch must be frozen to preserve it. Unless you are buying fish from small mom and pop boats that fish just the local waters, your catch will always have been frozen. Many species of fish only live in the open ocean many miles from shore (albacore tuna, cod). To the best of my knowledge squid are a pelagic catch and not coastal. In any event, I find frozen squid to be excellent.

I once read that Frozen and thawed Calamari is actually easier to handle than fresh one since the freeze/thaw process actually breaks down the tough tissues a bit and make it more tender. ( I think it was Portuguese lore...)