• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tepache?

12BottleBar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I was in Portland a couple months ago I sat at the bar at Teardrop and bothered Daniel for a while asking to taste all of their housemade cocktail ingredients. I had never had tepache before and f'n loved it. I've never made it, but please post if your attempts are successful!

The drink on the menu is:

Illusion of Victory

deep, dark & funky

Smith&Cross rum  Averna amaro  lime  tepache  Amargo bitters

Really, really nice cocktail. But I could drink that tepache straight.

Small Hand Foods

classic ingredients for pre-prohibition era cocktails

I've only had it from vendors in Mexico and on its own it is about my favorite thing in the world. It's sweet but not cloying and you get the slightest buzz. I just love the stuff. the thought of mixing it makes me a little sad but i'll try and keep an open mind.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 4 months later...

I've made tepache several times. The first time or two was with only the pineapple rinds and the spices plus piloncillo. Later, I learned that it's better with some of the fruit in it.

Another thing I learned is that I prefer to make it without the beer in it. It should taste more like pineapple, not beer. After it's finished fermenting, you can mix it with beer in your glass if you like. This blog entry describes my earlier attempts. A Batch of Tepache

Buen provecho, Panosmex

• 1 month later...

Panosmex, I figured it was high time I reported back on my tepache experiments, and you captured my feelings exactly.

I did a double fermentation -- 3 days w/o sugar, then 3 days with piloncillo and beer (Tecate, because it's so neutral). After about 4 days, everything went from a nice pineapple drink to a heady too-much-like-beer brew. I'm glad to see your post here; it confirms that I should give it another chance.

If anyone is interested in seeing the wonderful natural fermentation of the tepache monster, I posted a quick video:

• 6 years later...

Cut up a pineapple for tonight's dinner (shrimp and pineapple in Thai red curry) and it seemed a shame to waste the rind, core and excess fruit so Tepache it is...

tepache1.jpg

...or shall be. I hope.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Cut up a pineapple for tonight's dinner (shrimp and pineapple in Thai red curry) and it seemed a shame to waste the rind, core and excess fruit so Tepache it is...

tepache1.jpg

...or shall be. I hope.

Will be interested to hear the results.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Will be interested to hear the results.

Looking forward to the results myself... never made it or tasted it before so I have no idea what I'm in for. Took me 3 attempts before I had a successful batch of kimchi so I'm not sure I have the magic touch when it comes to fermentation but we'll see how it goes.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

23 hours ago, kayb said:

You sent me to Google for that one. Interesting. I may have to try it.

The more, the merrier. Gives me a larger pool of people to ply with questions if mine fails. :D

• Like 1

Tepache sounds delicious. I love cider-gone-hard but it seems just about impossible to get unpasteurized apple cider (US definition -- fresh unfiltered apple juice) anymore. Even the orchards don't/can't sell it. I do remember getting quite a head ache from drinking too much, presumably from undesirable fermentation products.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Mine hadn't started fermenting overnight which leads me to suspect that pineapples coming into Canada might be treated - so added a pinch of yeast. Will check on it later today.

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Mine hadn't started fermenting overnight which leads me to suspect that pineapples coming into Canada might be treated - so added a pinch of yeast. Will check on it later today.

Mine hadn't started fermenting after 24 hours but I checked it again today after 48 and it has started. A little of the white foam on top the recipe said would happen and some tiny bubbles rising in the jug. I'm going to check it again before bed tonight and decide if I want to let it go until morning or not.

So I'm not calling this round a success. The fermentation didn't survive. I started getting the white foam on top and some bubbles rising like the instructions said I would and that's as far as it went. No continued fermentation at all. It's not the least bit bubbly and while I only have my taste buds as a guide, I feel confident saying there is no alcohol of any level in that jug. It's tasty nonetheless... but not tepache. Gonna have to try again with the addition of yeast or, as some recipes suggest, the addition of a beer partway into the process. It wasn't specified in the instructions but I'm assuming that would need to be a bottle conditioned beer to be of any help to the process.

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Eat your heart out! But it doesn't taste like alcohol either - so perhaps all the sweetness is hiding it.

I'm having second thoughts about mine having no alcohol but if it does, it's at a much lower level than you achieved. I downed 2 glasses of it in about 15 minutes and felt kinda like I would if I downed a beer fairly quickly. Which for many probably means nothing but I'm a lightweight, doesn't take much to get me fuzzy headed. 20 year old me would hang his head in shame... :D Pretty sure it wasn't placebo but I won't rule it out.

I'm not getting a large level of sweetness. Sweet on entry but quickly leans to tart. Not vinegar-like tart, more like I dosed it with citric acid, which I did not. As tasty and refreshing as I hoped it would be but not bubbly and the alcohol content is questionable to low at best. So eat my heart out, I am. 

• Like 2