• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat Hunger

Shalmanese

Those of you who get it know what I'm talking about. It's that particular hunger you get in the pit of your stomach that can only be satisfied by meat. You can be full and still have meat hunger. You can try and eat anything else in order to sate that hunger but it's ineffective. The only way to fulfill meat hunger is to go eat some meat, the more primal the better.

So, does anyone else share the same experience?

PS: I am a guy.

Oh heck yes.

If anything I get even more primitive; my meat hunger is only satisfied by great bloody chunks of red meat, preferably grilled over wood or charcoal.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I can't say as I've experienced that .

Must be a fallback from the caveman days. :rolleyes:

I suspect it is! I can go only so long before I crave a seriously rare hunk of beef steak preferably on the bone so I can gnaw away.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh yeah, beef ribs are the way to deal with this. I know you're supposed to make them falling-off-the-bone succulent but sometimes the inner beast demands red and chewy.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

It's real and it's called metabolic hunger. The lack of satiety despite sufficient calorie intake.

I crave meat, especially red meat. Mmm. feeling hungry now just thinking about it. Better go and eat some!

{and one great advantage of sous-vide cooking: all that wonderful, delicious meat just waiting to be consumed!!!]

Yes! I get cravings for meat..and only meat will do. I used to dislike rare meat (I grew up in a family of "well-doners") but since I converted only a Med. rare steak will satisfy.

Conversely though at certain times I get "meat revulsion" when the thought of ingesting any kind of eat just does not appeal to me at all. I think the origin of this might be hormonal. Anyone else ever experience this? I am not a vegetarian and have always been a meat eater.

I get that meat hunger. Usually when I have been inadvertently on a seafood, tofu, bean etc. kick rather than avoiding meat. The biggest trigger is walking past a home that is grilling or a restaurant that has a grilled meat smell (in a good way- not McD). I can feel the stomach juices and get an intense craving. I must add that this can happen with chicken as well but only with the grilling smell involved. Otherwise, when I have not had some real chewable meat in a while, the craving sets in and beef is at the top of the satisfaction list.

When my second grandson about 5,stayed with me he would get Meat Hunger like no kid I ever knew. After a week of pasta, beans, casseroles, stir-fries etc. he would say, "Grandma, I want meat." in the saddest way. Next dinner would be steak or roast beef and he was happy.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

My sister, who was mostly vegetarian for many years, found that when she had to take steroids for a medical issue she got mad cravings for rare beef.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

was a strick vegan for 2, vegg. for 4 (no eggs unless in bread and no fish). What I really craved in my 6 year run was less meat but animal fat. I would dream about bacon and fatty parts of the animal.

To this day, I still crave animal fat more than meat.

Farming sheep and pigs means I generally have 2 x 6' chest freezers full of meat. My vegetable gardening skills aren't good, and I never allocate enough time to doing it. In my head I'm going to cook like Michel Bras. It never really happens. We always cook on the bone - where there is a bone in the area, and never trim off fat. Cleave lamb chops for curry, similar for a chicken for a chinese style stew. Sausage and bacon breakfasts 2 or 3 times a week. What I crave are vegetables. Raw salads. And lentil curry. My work colleagues are always surprised I try to order everything vegetarian if ever we are out and eating. For me it's m chance to eat less meat.

I can't say that I experience meat hunger on a regular basis, but I've always been struck by the fact that whenever I'm recovering from a bout of the flu, just when I'm at the point that I feel that I'm going to survive (and that I WANT to survive) I experience a craving that can only be satisfied by red meat. Usually a thick steak, but even a good homemade hamburger will do the trick.

I have no idea if the craving is physical or merely psychological, but it's definitely something that demands to be dealt with.

James

Flavors of Brazil

http://flavorsofbrazil.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

I have no idea if the craving is physical or merely psychological, but it's definitely something that demands to be dealt with.

I do believe that craving is physical. Normally I'm a carb girl but once a month, every month, if you know what I mean, I crave meat... I want rare steak, thick pork chops, giant burgers, and I want ibuprofen for dessert.

I think my body is telling me I need the extra iron.

Yes, I have a strong meat-tooth from time to time..like at the moment. Bought 8 lamb cutlets last night and grilled 'em, just to have something meaty in the fridge for snacks over the next couple of days, with a bone to gnaw on too. And, um..some sausages, to do the same thing. My own personal meat-henge!

Other times I veer totally vegetarian for awhile, so, you know, it pans out. :wink: