• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Ketchup - Lee Kum Kee

zaskar

Does anyone know where I can purchase Chinese Ketchup, specifically the Lee Kum Kee brand?

I've looked online not luck. E-mailed Lee Kum Kee, no response.Or maybe a comparable brand.

I can't stand the "American ketchup" in Chinese dishes. I've been using tomato puree, recommend in a cookbook. Which works well, but I'd like to try using Chinese ketchup if possible. Jen Lin-Liu recommended it in her book Server the People.

I don't use it in Sweet & Sour dishes, but some other dishes such as Sichuan Chile Prawns/Shrimp. I find it adds color and some thickness to the sauce more than flavor, at least the Tomato Puree does.

I might go to NYC in a few weeks so I might try searching there in China-Town.

Thanks.

Try www.asianFoodGrocer.com If it doesn't show on the web site give them a call, they might have ir in stock but not on line.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "Chinese ketchup". The ketchup you find in the USA, e.g. Heinz, may just be a bit too vinegary and salty for use in cooking Chinese food. I think you can use something like Del Monte's tomato sauce instead of specifically the LKK ketchup.

Del Monte's Tomato Sauce

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"