• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Trick or Treat

Thanks to all for your replies. we live on a quiet street that is well it and has sidewalks. Every year we see less and less kids. All my neighbors, save one, have the lights on and have treats for the kids. Just seeems that less and less kids are out. At least in our area.

As I stated above, my headcount can vary widely. :wacko:

Yesterday was a record day -- almost 500% above 2009. Maybe it was a combination of being a Sunday and the gorgeous weather.

I ran out of treats before 6 PM :sad:

The pencils and erasers were "AWESOME" -- or so I was told by my costumed visitors.

Kim, for children like mine, (who are not only children) the little onesize popcorn is a really big deal because

a; they can make it all by themselves, and b; they don't have to share with sibs,it's ALL MINE. :biggrin:

My mother gave out snickers, reeses and three musketeers this year.

I was not home, I took my son.

I figured out last night, between my own childhood, having my two kids ten years apart, plus my step-daughter, I have spent thirty five years trick or treating. :shock: No wonder my feet hurt!

---------------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...

Last year we had just moved into the Coop and were more than flat broke- truly our funds were depressed! I walked to the local drug store and bought 2 bags of mixed hard candies. We had NO Trick or Treaters, but I attributed this our having bought a house that had been vacant for 5 years. This year we bought a bag of DumDum lollies and a bag of Charms Sweet lollies and had NO Trick or Treaters. I've been tossing the lollies into my international shipments. I found out this year that I do not care for Charms Sweet flavors- just the Sweet & Sours- which, thank goodies- We didn't buy!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 8 years later...

A quick search didn't turn up a dedicated forum for Halloween "treats," so I thought I'd start one. Mods, if a forum indeed exists, please feel free to merge.

I like this quote from a NY Times article about trick-or-treating in NYC:

After we had stopped at every floor — and in the lobby, where the doormen would throw in a mini Snickers — we would spill all the candy out and make a pile on the dining room table, assessing the haul and criticizing the offerings.

Chocolate bars and peanut butter cups were highly prized and there was some cajoling, on the parental level, for my brother and sister and me to share.

Candy corn was O.K. Fine.

Hard candy? Give it to dad.

Raisins? Raisins?

Raisins ranked so low, they incited rage. Who wants raisins?

We tend to rotate our bribe, er, treat, between mini Kit Kats, bite-size Hershey's chocolates, and Tootsie Roll Pops. This year, it's the latter. I'll sometimes make cookies or brownies for the parents. The weather is so crummy* today, though, I suspect that most of the pops will grace Ms. Alex's classes on Monday, and that the two of us will somehow have to manage to eat the cookies. (*The forecast for 6 p.m. is for light snow, 35°F, and 17 mph gusting wind.)

• Like 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I remember as a kid being invited in out of the cold and offered cider and homemade treats after we introduced ourselves to our hosts and told them about our costumes and who we were dressed as.  Sweet. 

I don't get too many kids here.  I buy the treat-sized bags of chips, Fritos, Doritos, pretzels.  The kids seem to like picking out their choice of snack.  

• Like 2

I was the kid who liked those little red boxes of raisins, and took one in my lunch most days. I could always swing a deal to get all of my sister's raisins for cheap. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

44 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I remember as a kid being invited in out of the cold and offered cider and homemade treats after we introduced ourselves to our hosts and told them about our costumes and who we were dressed as.  Sweet. 

I don't get too many kids here.  I buy the treat-sized bags of chips, Fritos, Doritos, pretzels.  The kids seem to like picking out their choice of snack.  

Ditto re picking out their favorite Tootsie Roll Pop flavor(s). We're usually left with a bunch of orange ones, but that's OK.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

When i was younger - there was a kid that came to our house late - probably the last tricker-or-treater ... I think he did this by design 😁 ...  he was dressed as clown and his pants were tied at the ankles - you guessed it - his pants were his his trick-or-treat bag (he did appear to be wearing long johns) and they were nearly full of candy! We gave him the rest of our Candy and still laugh about it today. 😁

We didn’t trick-or-treat much - once or twice, I think? When we did - my sister and I had to split our candy  - even even for both of us. She took all the ‘good candy’ and left me with the rest (she was older and meaner) - On the plus side, it left me with a love of hard candy as an adult. 

These days - I am not much for Halloween - I leave a very large bowl of candy out front with a sign and lighted Halloween balloon - kids are weirdly honest about how much they take ... this year, I told my neighbor to send over her son around 9 or 930 and he could have all our leftovers (I buy Snickers, Reese’s Cups, Peanut M&Ms , and Pay Day) ... the neighborhood usually does a trunk or treat or something like that but not this year (the woman who organizes has family obligations) and i don’t participate- it’s why i put candy out. 

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Ditto re picking out their favorite Tootsie Roll Pop flavor(s). We're usually left with a bunch of orange ones, but that's OK.

What?!?! Orange is the best flavor! 😲

• Like 3

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

It's raining, cold, and windy here today. They have moved Halloween to  Saturday. Between 3 and 5 pm. 

I liked about all the candy we got including the candy corn. Stuff I did not like were the circus peanuts (were these the forerunners of peeps?) colored popcorn balls, and those caramel things wrapped in orange and black waxed paper. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

5 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

These days - I am not much for Halloween - I leave a very large bowl of candy out front with a sign and lighted Halloween balloon - kids are weirdly honest about how much they take

I think we did that one year when we weren't home, but Ms. Alex loves to see the kids in their costumes. I do, too, but I'm not as into it as she is.

• Like 1

I love it. but where I am now no kids do it. Properties too far apart.  The mall does it. My avatar dog lived for Halloween. We would take a chair and table to the sidewalk (house was set far back) and the kids would go crazy. I usually put a glow-stick necklace on him.  I just let them grab what they wanted. Most were imports from areas that were more poor and did not do halloween. 

• Like 4

I miss the days when you could hand out homemade treats. Mama always made popcorn balls. People came out from town (we lived out in the country) for those popcorn balls. My job was to wrap them in Saran Wrap and tie an orange and black ribbon around them.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

I miss the days when you could hand out homemade treats. Mama always made popcorn balls. People came out from town (we lived out in the country) for those popcorn balls. My job was to wrap them in Saran Wrap and tie an orange and black ribbon around them.

That was my favorite treat at Halloween.  I was lucky if I even got one of them.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh! we had a lady on the corner who did those. You had to greet and explain your costume  first - a once a year treat!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kayb said:

My mom made those, too. Though there was no Saran Wrap then, so they got wrapped in wax paper. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My house is set pretty far back from the street, so I buy full size bars for those willing to make the trek up the driveway.  This year, I have M+Ms, (plain and peanut), Skittles, Sour Patch Kids, Hershey bars, Reese's Cups, Milk Duds, Swedish Fish, and Snickers.  I think most of the kids in my neighborhood are aging out of trick or treating though.  I have not gotten anyone yet, and they usually all come here since they know I give out the big bars.  It's raining and windy which I am sure is impacting things.  Lights are going out at 8PM sharp--I am already hungry for dinner!

My nephew at college is hoping that nobody shows up so that I mail him all of the candy tomorrow 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5