• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday cake for 13 year old daughter

Lior

I want to make a cake take off of the Kinder joy egg. I do not have an egg shaped baking tray. I thought to ice with a layer of milk then white "ganache" or whatever that stuff is in the kinder egg and decorate with small truffles like the two inside the egg. I can do the truffles with paillete. Any suggestions or recipes for the truffles and "ganaches"? What are the truffles coated in IYO?I want it to be as similar as poss.

What cake should I make?

Thanks!

Edited by Lior (log)

The truffles look to be coated with sprinkles (also called "jimmies" here in New England!), you probably know them as vermicelli (these are more rounded than paillettes, which are tiny squares - at least, that is how I get them from my distributor.)

Our standard ganache recipe is 2# chocolate (chopped, coins, callets, chips), 8 oz butter, 2# heavy cream; put choc/butter in a bowl, bring cream to a full boil, pour over choc, stir, let firm up.... so you could use that or whatever your own favorite recipe is....

I would say to use your own favorite cake recipes - a layer of chocolate cake, a layer of chocolate ganache; a layer of white or vanilla cake and a layer of white chocolate ganache (you could use the same ganache as above, just use 1# choc to 8 oz cream)....

I have never had this, but it looks wonderful! At first I thought you were going to make tiny, tiny little truffles and put them in the filling! Please show pictures of the birthday cake! It will be lovely, I'm sure!

thanks all! Well it was very sweet of you to give me your recipe. I make ganaches of sorts but I thought perhaps someone was familiar with these particular ones-kind of like a hazelnut cream inside a wafer ball coated in chocolate and then in "fish poos" :wacko: Sorry, but that is what we call them. Now I know the proper names!

I made the ganache for the truffles with hazelnut paste and milk chocolate with feulletine mixed in. I will roll little ones 2morrow.

I will post the pictures with pleasure.

Well I finished the birthday cake. It turned out to be a deconstructed/reconstructed kinder joy cake :laugh: !!!I used a new recipe from "bakerella" for a moist yellow cake. I added some extra moisture using rose water syrup sprinkled onto the cake before glazing. I used a milk chocolate ganache/glaze in the middle and a white one on the top.

BTW, Lior is my daughter(not me. When she was little she wanted me to use her name as my avatar...

Not perfect-I am no pastry chef by far! But I like it.

Lior 13 bday.jpg