• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where can I go in London

I have a rare evening without the tiny taliban, late notice.

First choice was les deux salons but only very late sittings left. First choice because last time we had a similar opportunity we went to Arbutus and I loved it.

So I am after something not too formal, sub £150 for 2, and that we have a chance of a table this saturday.

thanks

You are really going to struggle at this late stage, but my tip for you is not to use the online booking and phone any restaurant personally, you never know your luck, as from my experience they always hold a few tables back.

You could try Will Smith at Les Deux Salons, both he and Anthony Demetre follow egullet, and have done for years. Mention your a member. :wink:

Two other places that spring to mind which I can recommend and both are red hot are Polpo and Polpetto which do not take bookings in the evenings, however if it were me I would arrive six thirty to seven for a best chance of a table. In any event you would have to be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Bar Boulud and Koffmanns spring to mind as they are both cavernous, bear in mind Koffmanns is the pricier of the two and you would have to choose carefully from the menu to fit your budget.

Of the above, my first choice would be Les Deux Salons and it fits your budget. I can also almost guarantee Anthony Demetre will be in the kitchen on the night. So you have the Arbutus link, and Michelin starred chef as well.

Good Luck. :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Thats a shame, although not surprising really as Fay Maschler has just given it a glowing review

Another tip and I did a review on here, is Galvin La Chapelle, and guess what they do have tables :smile:

You may have to skip desserts (or share one) on your budget but I personally think its great not only for the food but the room is also stunning.

@d_goodfellow1

Thats a shame, although not surprising really as Fay Maschler has just given it a glowing review

Another tip and I did a review on here, is Galvin La Chapelle, and guess what they do have tables :smile:

You may have to skip desserts (or share one) on your budget but I personally think its great not only for the food but the room is also stunning.

What's wrong with Zucca David we are going their for lunch Tuesday on your recommendation and now you are not even rating it. I hope it is still good. I will let you know how it goes.:biggrin:

Edited by Pam Brunning (log)

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Actually your budget is very good, my mistake. You can get quite a bit of food for that kind of money. The problem can arise with cocktails, digestifs and coffees and of course the level of wine that you are drinking. These are what tend to raise the bill skywards.

@d_goodfellow1

What's wrong with Zucca David we are going their for lunch Tuesday on your recommendation and now you are not even rating it. I hope it is still good. I wil let you know how it goes.:biggrin:

I nearly posted a link before the link to Galvin, but I thought there would be no chance at all of a table. I thought the same about Goodman.

Looking forward to your review, if you enjoy it as much as we did you are in for a treat.

If not, don't blame me I'm just the messenger. :laugh:

@d_goodfellow1

thanks, 2 possibilities there - hereford and la chappelle both have tables.

Our evening will see us get the train to London and walk, so the locality of the restaurant is important. Soho sits well with us. Polpo and Polpetto are hitting the right note for saturday I think and an early dinner fits with my partner.

Thanks for your help

well we were heading down Brewer Street towards Polpo, 6.25, perfect timing, as advised by David. However, Hix got in the way. And whats more they had a cancellation, so in we went.

And I didn't regret it. A stark room, strange art (we were seated under a revolving fray bentos pie tin mobile), but it seems to work. Certainly it was full of people enjoying themselves.

And there was grouse. And I'd never had grouse before. Who better to cook my first grouse (well, okay, he doesn't actually cook there, but...). Bloody hell I enjoyed it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice folks, the prize goes to JMillar.