• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied Walnuts

Is there a recipe one can easily make at home?

Is this a recipe you would be comfortable sharing with us?

Or should we wait for the cookbook?

I know the walnuts you make at your home are sensational and addictive... Is there any place one can find equally special ones?

Is this a Chinese recipe? Or am I out of place in talking about these candied walnuts in this forum.:smile:

Ed,

I can understand why some chefs and or cooks would not want to hand out a recipe like this one.

It could make a smart business minded person great success.

I would not want you to share every trade secret. Just a rough idea of what goes into the art of making these nuts as wonderful as they get after your handling of them.

I am not trying to put you on the spot. Just wanted to know more about the roots and lore of these candied nuts.

That would mean even more than the recipe. :smile:

Ed,

I can understand why some chefs and or cooks would not want to hand out a recipe like this one.

It could make a smart business minded person great success.

I would not want you to share every trade secret.  Just a rough idea of what goes into the art of making these nuts as wonderful as they get after your handling of them.

I am not trying to put you on the spot.  Just wanted to know more about the roots and lore of these candied nuts.

That would mean even more than the recipe. :smile:

The nuts are blanched in water, blanched in simple syrup, soaked in the syrup after blanching, then fried crisp.

I make spiced candied walnuts a lot. First boil the walnuts for a few minutes, and drain. Then cook them in honey, cayenne, a little salt, until the mixture is soaked into the nuts but are still a bit moist. Then spread them on a baking sheet (on foil) and roast them in the oven until they are dark brown and shiny (be very careful - it's very easy to burn them). Once they cool, they are quite crispy - I toss them into salads, have them as snacks, etc.

My way is ..... lay nuts on cookie sheet and roast for about 4 minutes in oven. Blend with simple syrup to which I add cinnamon sticks and perhaps

a smidgen of vanilla....mix syrup and nuts > allow to cool on a flat pan which has been sprayed with cooking oil.

I use them as a garnish for a spring mix salad garnished with sliced oranges and grapefruit, candied walnuts and a balsamic vinaigrette.