• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tuscan kale - reliable retail source in NYC?

mig

Hi there.

I am looking to source a couple pounds of TUSCAN KALE in NYC (Manhattan or Bklyn only) in the next 48hours. It's rougher to find than other varieties (purple stem, lacinato, green) and I have been struggling a little.

Retail, not wholesale.

I'm using it to recreate the lovely Tuscan kale with grana, hazlenuts and red onion salad that is on the prepared foods bar daily at City Bakery.

Anybody know?

I thought tuscan and lacinato were two names for the same kale (also called black kale).

They are. Also called dinosaur kale & cavolo nero.

You should be able to find it at the Union Square greenmarket (I bought a giant bunch from Phillips last week). Or, try the usual Italian suspects: Citarella's, Agatha & Valentina, Grace's.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

you must be right.

i had tried the dish with lacinato, found it a little off, then found some "tuscan" at the farmer's market. the dish made with THAT kale seemed right.

but i think they must be the same....

thanks. you can find lacinato everywhere at this point, thankfully - so i won't need to pay Citarella type prices for it.

darn. could've gotten it at the co-op for even cheaper this morning :(