• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online kitchen supply sources

I'm looking for some online kitchen supply sources in Australia so I can get a sense of what kitchen supplies cost over there. We'll be moving from the US to Australia soon and I want to see what I should bring with us and what I should purchase once we get there. I found some websites but I have no idea if the pricing is typical of what you find at the stores.

Here are a few of the sites I found:

http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com.au/

http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/

Advice on this matter is very much appreciated.

Thanks nickrey.

It looks like I won't be getting my stand mixer for a while at those prices! It's about 3 times higher than in the US. I so wish that my kitchen electrics would work over there....

Australia can be expensive when it comes to overseas goods! My parents were visiting me a few years ago and bought me a kitchenaid mixer, nearly dying at the price - it was three times what my mother paid for hers...

I'd say the prices on the kitchenware direct website are around the high end of average. The hospitality shop does require you to buy minimum quantities and it does concentrate on food-service brands.

What sorts of things are you thinking of bringing vs buying here? When you're tossing up what to bring, do keep in mind that stovetops and ovens are smaller here, usually 60cm wide (although newer houses/kitchens may have 90cm ones). The other thing to consider is the timing of your move. There are pretty good sales here in January, and the mid-year sales in June/July can also be quite good, so if you're trying to keep your packing to a minimum and you're arriving at around that time, things might be cheaper than you think. On the otherhand, things are generally really much cheaper in the US/Canada, so if you're shipping other household goods in a container, then it's worth lugging your homewares along as well.

I second Nick's Peter's of Kensington suggestion, and would add that their freight charges, at least within Sydney are very good - when I've ordered from them it's always been $7 per order, and I live on the very outer edges. Sign up for their newsletter, although you will be getting a lot of christmas decoration stuff at this time of year.

You might also check out http://www.everten.com.au/ and don't forget http://www.ebay.com.au/. And I love Ikea for inexpensive dishes, glasses and other bits and pieces.

I'm not sure which brands of electrical appliances you were looking at, but Sunbeam, Breville, and Kenwood have cheaper options than Kitchenaid here. The prices listed are RRP, and you can usually find them for less in major stores. I have a Breville handmixer and kettle and have been very happy with them. If you want to check out quality comparisons, Choice is the local version of Consumer Reports.

(Edit: did this post really need the word 'generally' repeated 5 times? I don't think so....)

Edited by Snadra (log)

We're looking into getting a container so we should have room for kitchen stuff. I have several pieces of really great cookware that I'll bring, but need to replace some of the pieces as they're at the end of their lives and not worth bringing over. I will need to get a one nonstick skillet, a stockpot, a wok and 1 or 2 smaller saucepans. I also need a good set of knives.

As for electronics, I really don't want to give up my pro line Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I know if I leave it behind, it's just not something I'll have the money to replace (for have the heart to spend that money) for a while. If I go with a transformer, then the chocolate tempering machine, crepe maker, etc. can come along as well.

A few electronics that I plan to get in Australia is a rice cooker, a slow cooker and tea kettle. I imagine that I use those enough that I should not rely on a transformer. I looked at the prices on those and they are higher than in the US, but not by a whole lot.

I would probably buy a transformer too in your situation.

One thing I didn't think to mention: if you are renting you will need to buy/rent a fridge. In Canada my rentals always had a fridge, so that was a bit of a surprise when I moved here!

I suggest that you join an Australian forum. This one is based in the UK but the majority of members are in Australia.

This forum is oriented toward the Thermomix but if you join and go to the "Chit Chat" sections, you can post a question about anything and especially about food, kitchen equipment and etc.

We have had discussions about rice cookers, mixers, blenders and most recently about dehydrators.

The people on the forum are unfailingly polite and very helpful. There is a lot of knowledge there.

Forum Thermomix

I don't think you will be disappointed. They like to help people who like to cook and play in the kitchen.

Oh, yeah! There is a current discussion about the Kindle and e-readers.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

annachan - I live in Melbourne and can say that rice cookers, slow cookers and kettles will all have reasonably priced brands available. Kitchen Aids (as are tempering machines) are expensive here. Bring your things and organise a transformer - it's a cheap option even if it doesn'y pay off and when your equipment wears out you can always replace with local stuff.

All the best for your move - Melbourne is the food capital of Australia and there are plenty of places to explore in a foodie sense.

We just got our visas today and it looks like we'll be in Canberra instead of Melbourne, at least for the first two years.

We'll probably be back and forth between Sydney and Canberra for the first month since the dogs will be quarantine in Sydney. If you know of good places for kitchen supplies at good prices in either cities, please do share.

annachan, we have just returned from living in australia, my advice to you is take EVERYTHING you will possible want. prices are way higher, as you have seen, and you will not find everything you are used to. if you need new pans, etc... buy them before you go. this goes for clothing, linens and furniture as well!

I ran my kitchenaid, magimix, etc on a transformer, it worked just fine.

as for the fridge, we rented in several places in Sydney and Melbourne and never came across a property without a fridge?! how odd - where did you encounter these Snadra?

as for your dogs - we had our little norfolk terrier guy in the Melbourne station and he did just fine, AQIS care for the animals exceptionally well - I have also heard good things about the Sydney station. if you have any questions about this aspect, let me know.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

annachan, we have just returned from living in australia, my advice to you is take EVERYTHING you will possible want. prices are way higher, as you have seen, and you will not find everything you are used to. if you need new pans, etc... buy them before you go. this goes for clothing, linens and furniture as well!

I'm still waiting for shipping quotes and then decide what to take. I do realize that prices are generally higher. I'm hoping to score some good deals on cookware during the upcoming Thanksgiving sales. Hubby is looking at getting a transformer here as well as they seem to be cheaper here.

One question though: will we be taxed on new items we ship over?

anna, i'm glad someone else suggested the thermomix - it's something you might want to consider because it covers so many bases, and it covers them really well.

I'd be inclined to bring everything over as well. nothing like having the things you love with you so you feel more at home.

good luck with the move.

I'm still waiting for shipping quotes and then decide what to take. I do realize that prices are generally higher. I'm hoping to score some good deals on cookware during the upcoming Thanksgiving sales. Hubby is looking at getting a transformer here as well as they seem to be cheaper here.

I don't know specifics but to be on the safe side, I'd take them out of the original packaging and use them. Used items have a far lesser value than new and are less likely to attract attention from Customs.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I don't know specifics but to be on the safe side, I'd take them out of the original packaging and use them. Used items have a far lesser value than new and are less likely to attract attention from Customs.

Exactly.

Also, make sure that nothing is dirty - this goes for bikes, shoes, outdoor furniture, etc... you have probably read or been told that AQIS is very serious about inspecting everything that comes in - we had some golf clubs irradiated because there was a bit of grass on them - they had been packed in their bags and inside a wooden crate -

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Yeah I know I won't be able to bring any food. I'm so going to miss my fleur de sel and porcini powder....

As for the Theromix, I think I'm leaning toward the Kenwood Cooking Chef. The Kenwood seems to be a better fit for my use.

Lots of great advice here.

Another place to compare prices is Victoria's Basement (no! Not Victoria's Secret...). I haven't been to the shop but they routinely have big ads in papers and on TV, lots of heavy discounts and clearance items. Always some type of knife block or cutlery set on sale. They deliver too. I have wondered how genuine the price reductions are but if you simply want to see online prices for comparison then it's a very useful site.

When I moved to Sydney from London I ended up taking everything I could, simply because the shipping was so cheap after the first few boxes it hardly made any difference to add more stuff.

The tax question depends on how old your stuff is, the authorities are probably more concerned with quarantine issues. I can't remember the details now but it gets confusing because there's both tax (GST in Australia) and duty. I recall some type of rule that you only had to pay on stuff that was less than a year old and worth more than $900. Don't quote me on that, though, but if you're shipping everything over then your shipping company should provide you with all forms and information.

And you'll easily be able to buy more fleur de sel and porcini powder, no shortage of decent food shops here...

Yeah I know I won't be able to bring any food. I'm so going to miss my fleur de sel and porcini powder....

As for the Theromix, I think I'm leaning toward the Kenwood Cooking Chef. The Kenwood seems to be a better fit for my use.

I know the folks on Forum Thermomix can point you in the direction of the best places to re-stock your pantry.

I can heartily recommend Vic Cherikoff's online store. for those "unique" Australian ingredients that are difficult to find.

I ordered wattleseed from this vendor last year and was amazed at the rapid shipping. (And very impressed with this ingredient/spice or whatever.)

I also ordered the native fruit confit set as a gift for my daughter and they were very impressed with the quality.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Looking at some rentals in Canberra, it does look like I'll need a fridge. Any suggestions on where to get one and what to get? Not looking for anything high end to begin with. What about prices?

Victoria's Basement looks great. Some of the prices are actually really decent, comparable to what they are here. Electrics are still really expensive though. My beloved Griddler is on sale for $199....it sells for $70 here at Costco....

I'm seeing the brand Benzer a lot on that website. I don't know anything about the brand. Prices seem to be much cheaper than other brands. Anyone know of the quality?

Looking at some rentals in Canberra, it does look like I'll need a fridge. Any suggestions on where to get one and what to get? Not looking for anything high end to begin with. What about prices?

Retravision, Bing Lee, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys are the biggest electrical retailers I can think off of the top of my head. There are a lot of brands out there, but Westinghouse and Fisher&Paykel are probably the better known - I have had two Westinghouse fridges myself and can certainly recommend them. Keep in mind that fridges here tend to be smaller here than in North America (although that is starting to change). You could also rent (eg Radio Rentals) or get one second-hand on eBay or Gumtree. Also, your apartment will probably come with a dryer, but not a washing machine, so keep that in mind when you're shopping too.

Victoria's Basement looks great. Some of the prices are actually really decent, comparable to what they are here. Electrics are still really expensive though. My beloved Griddler is on sale for $199....it sells for $70 here at Costco....

I'm seeing the brand Benzer a lot on that website. I don't know anything about the brand. Prices seem to be much cheaper than other brands. Anyone know of the quality?

I have become less and less fond of Victoria's Basement over the past couple of years. The Benzer brand seems to be their 'house' brand and I've been less than impressed with its quality. Plus I'm sure they inflate their 'were' prices to make their 'now' prices look good. Peters of Kensington has better deals as a rule. That said, I have gotten some bargains at Victoria's Basement - you just have to be aware of prices and products!

Other places to keep in mind for homewares bits and pieces are Freedom and Ikea. You will also find seasonal sale bargains at the department stores David Jones and Myer (this past weekend David Jones had 30% off most kitchenware and homewares).

As far as ingredients go, there are a fair number of Aussies on this site who know where to go for the good stuff and we have started a directory of online ingredient sources in the Australia/NZ forum as well. There is an active forum on Vogue, with some pretty knowledgable and nice people on it. There is little in the way of ingredients you won't be able to get here - prepared products are a completely different story, natch!