• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Trip

This has got to be worth a look...

"When Steve is commissioned by the food supplement of a Sunday newspaper to review half a dozen restaurants, he decides to mix work with pleasure and plans a trip around the north with his food-loving American girlfriend. But when she decides to leave him and return to the States, Steve is faced with a week of meals for one, not quite the trip he had in mind.

Reluctantly, he calls Rob, the only person he can think of who will be available. Never one to turn down a free lunch (let alone six), Rob agrees and together they set off for a culinary adventure.

Over the course of six meals at six different restaurants in and around the Lake District, Lancashire and the Yorkshire Dales, the ultimate odd couple find themselves debating the big questions of life"

Interview in the Guardian today mentions L'Enclume and Holbeck Ghyll.

• 2 weeks later...

They were at L'Enclume tonight, and I'm going for the first time next week so I watched with great anticipation. I corpsed, i belly laughed for a solid ten minutes whilst the pair of them were doing the impressions.

This is a very surprising unique fusion of fine-dining and comedic genius.

This is very funny stuff, quite a bit better than the last episode. I missed it last night but caught up with it on BBC iplayer. Here is the link.

Looks like the same team as when we were there. Franc is an excellent and assured maitre d, and it was good to see Simon Rogan and brigade in the kitchen.

Sorry to nit pick but does the bread look hard work?

Also £180 clearly does not include service, and working the bill out at the cheapest £65 menu plus wine times two is pushing it a bit. Unless of course prices have gone up in between.

In any event very good for business as foodies, myself included will perhaps pencil in a visit.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

They were at L'Enclume tonight, and I'm going for the first time next week so I watched with great anticipation. I corpsed, i belly laughed for a solid ten minutes whilst the pair of them were doing the impressions.

I bet your taste buds are tingling after watching that lot. :laugh: Looking forward to your review, I,m sure it will live up to, or even exceed expectation.

@d_goodfellow1

Wholly agree, I haven't laughed like that any any comedy all year. Brydon was on inspired form. And as mentioned, great to see Franc on top form. We have only had one meal at t' anvil ( he hints very unsubtley to wife reading this as I write), but remembered him as being a really excellent host when he worked at the White Hart in Suffolk; back when M Roux sr still part owned it.

Just to set the record straight L'Enclume do a three course, no choice seasonal lunch for £25. Its not on their website but a quick call today confirmed as much.

Pretty good introduction to Simon Rogan's food on a budget.

I think they need to get it up on the website, they could be missing out on business.

@d_goodfellow1

Hadnt realised that Brydon was that good an impressionist. Funny stuff.

A mate mentioned only last week that he works with Coogan's brother and, apparently, the whole family is big on the Lake District.

John Hartley

This is very funny stuff, quite a bit better than the last episode. I missed it last night but caught up with it on BBC iplayer. Here is the link.

Looks like the same team as when we were there. Franc is an excellent and assured maitre d, and it was good to see Simon Rogan and brigade in the kitchen.

Sorry to nit pick but does the bread look hard work?

Also £180 clearly does not include service, and working the bill out at the cheapest £65 menu plus wine times two is pushing it a bit. Unless of course prices have gone up in between.

In any event very good for business as foodies, myself included will perhaps pencil in a visit.

Brilliant show, fantastic the way they blur reality with fiction with no clear distinction.

About the bread David do you think it really was hard work or was it acting ? :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Of course the food is really not the point, it's a plot device. Mind you the show does accurately convey the tedium of listening to a waiter, his finger half bent, pointing at items on your plate and telling you what they are. That and the inevitable Sommelier show, the one where your food goes cold while he tells you which side of the bloody vineyard the grapes grew. And they always do that right when you are getting to a crucial point in a dining companion's story and just wishing they'd all naff off and let you get on with your dinner.

It's a commonplace to say that the The Trip owes an awful lot to Larry David, but we shouldn't forget.

I do like the idea that the critic has appalling hair, no taste and an ego you could power a small city with. I can't think who it might be based on though.

• 2 years later...