• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top chef vs Next Iron Chef

Teddy Devico

How do you think the Voltaggio brothers, Kevin Gillespie, Jen, or Richard Blais would fair against canora, caswell, tsai, or forgione?

I honestly think that between them it would be a pretty fair match.

I think the Voltaggio brothers would have a fair shot, but I truly can't see the others managing within the one hour time frame. Not with any really decent chance or good, ultra-high end output. I say that with great admiration, respect and liking for all the people you mentioned.

That said, in my opinion, the Voltaggio brothers could run rings around Bobby Flay. I admit, I'm biased. I despise Bobby Flay with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I hope he takes his boringly repetitive, two-trick pony act of a red and green pepper sauce to Las Vegas. And stays there!

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown

Those Iron Chefs you mentioned are for the most part much more experienced than the Top Chefs. In a straight up fight I would have to choose the Iron Chefs at least 3 out of 5 times. That being said, I am not a fan of any of the actual Iron Chefs (Flay et al.). In particular I absolutely despise Cat Cora.

Those Iron Chefs you mentioned are for the most part much more experienced than the Top Chefs. In a straight up fight I would have to choose the Iron Chefs at least 3 out of 5 times.

I agree: with the exception of the Voltaggio brothers, most Top Chef participants are not at the level of those on Next Iron Chef.

That being said, I am not a fan of any of the actual Iron Chefs (Flay et al.). In particular I absolutely despise Cat Cora.

The various Iron Chefs have an additional advantage, which is that they've done this over & over again, and have the experience of working within the show's artificial constraints.