• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advocaat recipe?

12BottleBar

I ultimately went with the one on About.com, which seemed about as authentic as it goes. Gary Regan told me that his grandmother used to make it by putting whole raw eggs in brandy until the shells dissolved, then whipping it all up (which I must try), but as it was something I was passing along to my readers, the About recipe was quick, easy and yielded the proper results. Boy, is it boozy, and I think it'll make the best bread pudding topping on the planet.

We needed it for one of our Halloween drinks, the Jack Torrance, which is Bourbon (actually, JD) and Advocaat, taken from the movie The Shining. It's very tasty, unless you've been experimenting with Advocaat all week -- then, it's the last thing you want. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bottle of Advocaat (Warninks) for the first time this week, and am using it to make "eggnog" for myself: two parts Advocaat; one part spiced rum, milk, ice and nutmeg to top.

I'm intrigued by using it to top bread pudding - how?