• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone made Barley Coffee/Espresso?

12BottleBar

Have had it in a hippy/vegan/"healthy" eatery once... not bad but didn't strike me as different enough to be worth repeating. If you want the raw materials, pre-roasted barley is available at homebrew shops... for like $2/lb.

Your question puts me in a mind to raid the brewing supplies and grind up a barley espresso to see what happens... I know I've got some chocolate malt and some black patent malt around someplace.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

this probably isnt very useful, but i have been wanting to post something similar for a while. i really like espresso d'orzo in italy, or barley espresso. i have checked out the roasted barley kernels and they appear to be exactly what you said... dark roasted kernels. i have been planning to stick some on the stove but thought it might be a better idea and try when i fire up the outdoor grill next time. ill be sure to report back.

if anyone knows if it is possible to run barley through a coffee roaster please enlighten us.

one note of caution though, i was told by a barista in milan to only try barley in a manual espresso machine. he says it gums up the automatics since the puck doesnt eject as cleanly as the coffee puck. i dont know if thats accurate, but i thought its worth passing on.

Don't bother trying to roast your own. Find a local homebrew shop, or order from one of the online brew supply places. Plenty of selection, e.g.: http://morebeer.com/search/102158/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Roasted_Malts

Now down to the basement to see what dark grains I have handy to experiment with.

Edited by cdh (log)

Found an open bag of Carafa malt and tried to treat it like espresso. Unmitigated failure resulted.

The roasted barley plugged up the espresso machine when treated like coffee beans and ground as fine as they need to be ground. I ended up with a sticky compressed puck that let no water through it. So I tried again, but opened the grinder up a few clicks to make a somewhat coarser grind... still plugged up the machine. So I tried a very chunky preparation, more crushed than ground. That let water through the machine, but it wasn't anything like espresso on the other side. It seems a lot of experimentation will be necessary to figure out if there is a grind setting that will work.

I'm thinking that perhaps a different device, like maybe an AeroPress, might be the thing to try to get an espresso-like extraction from dark roasted barley... will try that next.

Your suspicion is incorrect. Do I need to take pictures of this stuff? You know the color of Guinness, right? This "brewer dark roast" makes that happen at about 5% of the grain bill or less, if that's not dark enough for your tastes in coffee, well... I don't know what to tell you.. The stuff responsible for Guinness flavor is sold as "Roasted Barley", meaning it's not malted... which might be the problem with the dark malts I tried... they appeared to fuse together into a lump of black sugary stuff in the portafilter.

Jenni - yup, I knew that re: orgeat. I make the almond kind already, so I'll be curious to see how the barley version works. Oddly enough, I'm currently bouncing back and forth between this thread and an orgeat thread over in Cocktails. :)