• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher chili products? Please help!

Live It Up

I recently started working for a company that, among other things, makes Asian style salad dressings that are kosher. Not keeping kosher myself, I have been dumbfounded at how hard it is to 1. find kosher ingredients and 2. get clear information about which products are or are not kosher. For example, Lee Kum Kee chili garlic sauce. I have 2 bottles, plus an industrial size can. Only one of the packages (one of the small bottles) has a hechsher on it (OU)and the LKK website does not state that this product is kosher...But I digress.

I need to find some chili product that is not so garlicky, preferably gochujang or chili oil, and it has to be all-natural too! I have scoured the internet and the information just doesn't seem to be there, so please, if you know anything please help. Thank you in advance!

--Jessica

Welcome to the wonderful world of kosher products. Here are a couple of sources that might be of help.

First, the Chicago Rabbinical Council has a list of respected kosher supervising agencies. Not all agencies are accepted by all Jews. Triangle K and Tablet K are two that stand out... But that is a discussion for another time. http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

Second, the Orthodox Union has a product database that you can search. http://www.oukosher.org/index.php/product_search

Regarding chili sauce. The consumer chili sauce products by Huy Fong are kosher, IIRC. It is possible that the industrial products are not kosher due to it being made in another plant that is not supervised.

Your best bet is to call the manufacturer and ask for a copy of their kashrut certificate

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Or check with your mashgiach. Sometimes they can be a great resource. Sometimes not so much. Do you need to get this in industrial sizes or is retail packaging OK/cost efficient? I can check my supplier's lists tomorrow, but I think everything is retail.

Thank you so much for the responses so far. Chris Amirault--yes, huy fong sriracha and sambal are kosher, but they are not all-natural (MSG). I have also found 3 all-natural srirachas, but they are not kosher. I feel like I have tried every search on the internet possible. Yesterday I went to 4 different Asian markets with no luck.

Pam R--I do need industrial packaging, but at this point I will take anything I can get. Probably most companies can be convinced to do some larger scale packaging if we order enough. So, any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

--Jessica

OK. I get this sort of thing from a supplier in Montreal, but I'm sure somebody is bringing some of these items into the US. Most of these products are made in countries like Thailand, then they go to Israel and then on to Canada and the US.

The list I have lists Chili Sauce and Sweet Chili Sauce under "Oriental Food" brand -- I'm not sure if that's actually the brand, but I have one bottle of "Healthy Boy Brand" chilli sauce that has "Imported by: Oriental Food Importers LTD" on the back -- in Tel Aviv.

Look into Taste Of Asia too - my supplier doesn't list chili sauce from that company, but they do have coconut milk, nori, curry pastes, etc. listed. They may have more products that aren't carried by this company.

Finally, listed as both Willi Food and Thai Dee. Willi is another Israeli importer, so some things are sold under their brand, some aren't. I just found their website. I downloaded their catalogue and sweet chilli sauce is listed (in the pages 11-20 section, in what looks like a gallon), but no regular chilli sauce (btw, all of the lists spell it chilli). There is an email address on the page so you can contact them and see if they have it and if anybody is importing it.

But, I have a suggestion. If you're in the NY area, go to KosherFest next week. Somebody might have it, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised if they could point you in the right direction.