• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need your help with rum

Markus Lewalski

Hey guys,

Xmas is coming closer and I wanted to make some gifts to myself, i. e. buying some new stuff. :smile: As all this is quite expensive I wanted to know if some of you guys tried already some of these rums or if you have some comments about it. As you may know I am a fan of heavy and complex rums so please take this into account for any comment.

So what about these:

El Dorado 25 yo (EUR 192 :shock: ) Is it really worth it?

El Dorado 21 yo (EUR 89) Supposed to be completely different from the 'typical El Dorado style', i. e. it is much lighter

English Harbor XO (EUR 47) I heard opinions from 'undrinkable' to 'very good' :wacko:

Nation Single Domain Guyana 18 yo (EUR 40) Not too strong with 45% Alcohol?

Sea Wynde Guyana & Jamaica (EUR 43) 46 % Alcohol!!

Cacique Antiguo Millennium (EUR 46) I heard comments like 'good rum but not worth the price'

Plantation Venezuela 1992 Vintage 10 yo (EUR 43) Already in this forum I read some disappointed comments about other 'Plantation' rums. But this is supposed to be aged by Pampero. But still 45%

Thank you very much for your help.

Markus

PS: As I wrote some weeks ago, I spent a two weeks holiday in Cuba and made some rum tastings :smile: . You get a lot of 'Anejo' stuff +/- 7 yo for 5-8 USD which is good but not great. An exception might be 'Relicario 7 yo' which is excellent.

Besides some other stuff I brought

Caney Anejo Centuria (7 USD)

Portosanto 490 Aniversario 10 yo (8 USD)

Santiago de Cuba Anejo (8 USD) (7 yo?)

Santiago de Cuba Extra Anejo (60 USD) label says aged >20 years

Havana Club 15 yo (85 USD :shock: )

So far I tried none of them as I still have +/- 25 open bottles and I first want to finish some of them.

And in whole Cuba there was no chance of getting any Matusalem rum. A lot of people told me that it is no longer produced. But I'm still not 100% sure what's really going on with the Cuban Matusalem as you ask 10 people and you get 15 different answers... :wacko:

I have the El Dorado 15, which is a superb rum. But the prices for the the 21 and the 25 sound pretty outrageous.

Sea Wynde is a very nice rum.

Wow, the Matusalem situation sounds pretty dire. I'd better conserve the two bottles I have left.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I for one would be hard pressed to spend 47 Euros on English Harbour XO, the same for the cacique millenium. All too often these are just collector bottles and labels and not worth the money, of which none have excesses.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.