• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Department store pecan bars

smilingal

I am about to cry. I had a treasured recipe which I used just two weeks ago and now can't find it. I am hoping someone can help. It was cut from a magazine. It had been printed among favorites from different years past (and I think this might have been from the '40s - but the magazine was probably about 8 years ago). This was from a department store - not sure where - maybe midwest (but that's a guess) where they served these. They were award winning then and now. The magazine printed it as it had been described back then - so not as if the ingredients were listed separately as we do now. It had a wonderful shortbread crust with pecan caramel topping. I've had a version of it in a restaurant where they named them pecan diamonds - but that wasn't what the article called them. OHHHHHHH -- I hope someone can help!

sure - if you'd like it! Only need to ask!

in bowl, cream together 1 1/2 sticks softened unsalted butter with 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 t salt. Beat in 1 lg egg plus 2 T lightly beaten egg. Add 2 3/4 cups flour and stir.

Press into cookie sheet bake 375 for 15-20 min. cool in pan on rack.

in saucepan, combine 1 1/3 cups light brown sugar, 1 stick unsalted butter, 1/2 cup honey,and 1/4 cup half and half- bring to boil stirring. Stir in 14 ounces chopped pecans. Cool.

Spread evenly over base and bakein preheated 375 oven for 15 min or till bubbly.

This is from Cloudt's grocery store printed by Gourmet magazine. IMHO THE BEST!

There's also a recipe for Cloudt's Pecan Treats on the Andrea Meyers blog:

http://andreasrecipes.com/2008/12/07/cloudts-pecan-treats-12-days-of-cookies/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)