• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Learning from Joël Robuchon

Chris Amirault

BF15

yellow skin, dark yellow flesh

available from July to March

excellent for frying, mashing, sautéing

I would say Yukon gold.

Yukon's are exactly what I've used when making this particular recipe. Without having the real deal Robuchon version though, I have no basis for comparison if my result is similar to his. The mash does end up on the looser side than other mashed potatoes I've made.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

BF15

yellow skin, dark yellow flesh

available from July to March

excellent for frying, mashing, sautéing

I would say Yukon gold.

It may well be that they're similar to Yukon Gold, but I don't think you can necessarily tell that from a visual description. You'd need to know information like dry matter content and sugar/starch ratios, I would think.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 4 months later...

Tonight I did a Copper River Salmon with Asparagus Veloute, Asparagus Salad and Yukon Gold "Chips." (The dish is posted here in the 2011 Copper River Salmon topic).The Veloute recipe is from "The Complete Robuchon." I often struggle with extracting the maximum amount of flavor out of an ingredient, but Robuchon has taught me how to do so and his Asparagus Veloute recipe is an example.

The basic recipe calls for cooking asparagus stems in a stock, resulting in an incredibly deep asparagus blend. There are a couple of reductions and strains, then surprisingly to me, Robuchon thickens the veloute with corn starch. The richness in the final steps comes from the inclusion of egg beaten into cream and then stirred into the stock. I don't think I've ever tasted a more pure asparagus flavor.

014.JPG

I want the recipe for that asparagus salad.

Thanks. The asparagus salad is my recipe-can't give Robuchon credit for it. It's shaved asaparagus that is blanched for about a minute in boiling water to soften it. (I learned to "shave" asparagus with a carrot peeler from Chef Alex Stratta, of Las Vegas). I use a Japanese julienne slicer for the carrot. The dressing was just one part apple cider vinegar to two parts hazelnut oil, and the garnish is toasted hazelnuts. I thought the sweet/sour notes in the salad would balance out the richness of the Robuchon Asaparagus Veloute, and I wanted some sort of asparagus garnish that said "that's what's in the sauce-asparagus."

Tonight I did another dish using the Robuchon recipe for Asparagus Veloute. I kept the Veloute cold this time and served it with some crispy-fried sweetbreads and a garnish of preserved lemon. While I love Copper River Salmon, I think this combination, (the cold Veloute with the hot, crispy Sweetbreads), worked better.

Crispy-Fried Sweetbreads with Cool Asparagus Veloute-

004 (2).JPG

I want the recipe for that asparagus salad.

Thanks. The asparagus salad is my recipe-can't give Robuchon credit for it. It's shaved asaparagus that is blanched for about a minute in boiling water to soften it. (I learned to "shave" asparagus with a carrot peeler from Chef Alex Stratta, of Las Vegas). I use a Japanese julienne slicer for the carrot. The dressing was just one part apple cider vinegar to two parts hazelnut oil, and the garnish is toasted hazelnuts. I thought the sweet/sour notes in the salad would balance out the richness of the Robuchon Asaparagus Veloute, and I wanted some sort of asparagus garnish that said "that's what's in the sauce-asparagus."

Thanks! Very creative and sounds delish. Will give it a try. Picked up some beautiful local asparagus from the farmer's market yesterday so I'm ready to go!