• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trotter's and Trio lately

Steve Plotnicki

Folks, I'm just doing my morning mail, checking the news sites. The day begins.

Why are you still up?

Sleep, sweet princes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Folks, I'm just doing my morning mail, checking the news sites. The day begins.

Why are you still up?

Sleep, sweet princes.

Thanks Jinmyo.

That last line is beautiful.

I could have cried... and then stopped.

There was a movie about this orphanage (Cider House Rules) where the man that runs it says something almost similar (not quite) to the boys every night as he turns the light off.

It reminded me of that movie.

Thanks Jinmyo. :smile:

awbrig: i don't have to worry about school because my christmas break is long, thankfully, and can drive on a moment's notice (literally, probably only a few days is necessary). my promise is this, if you're buying, then i'll be there within half a day, period. no questions asked. my word is as good as gold. i prefer later seatings, but i'm really at the whims of my host, meaning i am happy with whenever. mid-january is fine by me. just let me know. i can backchannel you and give you my cell number, in case you want to get a hold of me on short notice.

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

Where the hell is that "eGullet Hall of Fame" when you need it???

This definitely wins the "I can't believe it's not scripted" award! :laugh:

Great character development, through and through. Thanks, guys... that was a good laugh! :biggrin:

edit: I quoted Tommy for some reason when I didn't mean to

Edited by 201 (log)

Awbrig - I use that expression when it's appropriate and I only offer it as a high compliment. It has to do with the type of stature one exudes more then anything else. Like Caterine Deneuve dressed can appear as handsome but Audrey Hepburn was not likely to be described that way.

Awbrig - I use that expression when it's appropriate and I only offer it as a high compliment. It has to do with the type of stature one exudes more then anything else. Like Caterine Deneuve dressed  can appear as handsome but Audrey Hepburn was not likely to be described that way.

I'd totally agree with that.

"Handsome" used to be used to describe women more in previous years than you hear it today. Maureen O'Hara and Jane Russell and Barbara Stanwyck come to mind. Women with commanding presence and stature and dignity. Always noticed. A face with integrity and intelligence and confidence.

And it usually seemed that these women were tall, even if in actuality they were not.

My father says that about my mother. "I wish you could have seen her when she was young," he says wistfully. "She was more than just beautiful - she was handsome."

Awbrig - it's a great compliment.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Awbrig - I use that expression when it's appropriate and I only offer it as a high compliment. It has to do with the type of stature one exudes more then anything else. Like Caterine Deneuve dressed  can appear as handsome but Audrey Hepburn was not likely to be described that way.

I'd totally agree with that.

"Handsome" used to be used to describe women more in previous years than you hear it today. Maureen O'Hara and Jane Russell and Barbara Stanwyck come to mind. Women with commanding presence and stature and dignity. Always noticed. A face with integrity and intelligence and confidence.

And it usually seemed that these women were tall, even if in actuality they were not.

My father says that about my mother. "I wish you could have seen her when she was young," he says wistfully. "She was more than just beautiful - she was handsome."

Awbrig - it's a great compliment.

I am glad both Steve and you understand where I was coming from.

Growing up under the finer tutelage of my mother (even better than my already notoriously famous schooling at one of Delhis better public school), I read a lot of English literature (poetry and prose). Handsome was a word of great weight when using it for describing women. My mother trained us to understand how beautiful was not always a compliment. Handsome on the other hand was.

I am sorry again, Awbrig for not being more sensitive to the American parlance. I was transported back to my old days... and for that one moment, my fingers typed as I thought like an Indian living in Delhi.

I meant the word handsome as I described earlier and now Steve P and Jaymes have done a much better job describing.

Thanks Jaymes and Steve. :smile: I feel better now (since both a yankee and a southerner have come to my rescue). :shock::rolleyes::biggrin:

Awbrig - I use that expression when it's appropriate and I only offer it as a high compliment. It has to do with the type of stature one exudes more then anything else. Like Caterine Deneuve dressed  can appear as handsome but Audrey Hepburn was not likely to be described that way.

Great examples Steve.

When I think Deneuve I always go back to Indochine and I immediately think of an imposing, dignified and handsome figure.

Hepburn brings to mind pretty.

• 1 month later...

I haven't followed The Heartland forum closely enough to note whether this has already been reported:

Belinda Chang from Trotter's is now a sommelier at Fifth Floor. :hmmm: She was at the J Beard L Gras black truffle dinner tonight. I asked why she had chosen Fifth Floor over Trotter's, and she made a flippant remark relating to CA wines. :hmmm:

According to Belinda's business card, her title is now Wine Director of Fifth Floor, and her e-mail is belinda.chang@fifthfloorestaurant.com.

Edited by cabrales (log)

I remember when C.Trotter came to Hawaii and my friend asked him how he would like the rice cooked. His reply was "like a risotto". I am sooo tired of ass hole cooks. Who you are DOES come out in your food.

I still say, the east coast is all about technique (plus scallops and clams). Lobster does nothing for me. I also get sick of it as "the ultimate meal".

I would rather have sand dabs (I would make at home for my mom and I). I don't live with her, but I know what we like! My grandfather used to take me to Tadiches. I love dungeness crab and cioppino!!!

Cab,

Thanks for the info!

here is a link with a few comments re Belinda in interested...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...6&t=10259&st=30

Belinda was always our favorite at Charlie Trotters. Nearly each time we were there she took such AWESOME care of us and especially my mom when she was dining there...One of my favorite times re Belinda was when Allison and I were there and I asked Belinda if there was caviar on the menu for that evening. She asked me, "Would you like there to be?"

"Absolutely", I said. That evening we had more caviar I could ever imagine!

I was very sad to hear she had left - and it was a little mysterious too. The staff wasnt saying much about her sudden departure...They told us she had had family problems and was taking a little time off. Then a little later I had heard she had moved to CA...now, as I hear from you, she's at Fifth Floor. Good for her! Belinda is so cool and I hope she does well there! :smile:

I'll miss both Belinda's kindly counsel and the evident delight she always has taken in making customers happy. I never felt condescended-to when consulting her for an evening's menu at CT's, even when I asked truly spectacularly stupid questions. I wish her well in whatever she does in future.

Wonder if CT's going to promote her assistant Jason, or do a search for a new wine director?

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I was very sad to hear she had left - and it was a little mysterious too.  The staff wasnt saying much about her sudden departure...They told us she had had family problems and was taking a little time off.  Then a little later I had heard she had moved to CA...now, as I hear from you, she's at Fifth Floor.  Good for her!  Belinda is so cool and I hope she does well there! :smile:

Originally, it was thought that Belinda was only on leave. Last summer, she had some difficulty with her sinuses, which required surgery--not a good thing in her line of work. Once she got through that, she took some time off, and that's when the mystery that Awbrig speaks of started. It was odd because during that time she and Alpina Singh, the sommelier at Everest, appeared on Chicago Tonight when the show was still good and hosted only by Phil Ponce. She represented the restaurant, but she was not working at the time, and she never returned to Trotter's.

Most likely, she just needed a change. The climate in Chicago can be brutal for a sommelier with sinus difficulties, and she had been at Trotter's for a considerable amount of time. She will be just as great at Fifth Floor as she was a Trotter's. Whatever she does, she is sure to have Chef Trotter's blessings.

Speaking of Fifth Floor, did anyone catch Laurent Gras on the CBS Morning Show today? He was featured in their "Chef On A Shoestring" segment. He made skate wing that was served over iceberg lettuce that was tossed in a vinaigrette.

Edited by Aurora (log)

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post tonight on this thread because I havent posted in a while...

The last part of this thread I talked about a few meals I had @ Charlie Trotters with my Mother and the wonderful times that we had. It especially means so much to me now because my Mom passed away this Wednesday night.

Looking at the pics on this thread and the nice things people mentioned about my Mother means a lot more to me now. And I thank you.