• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tianjin Preserved Vegetables

jobean

I love these chinese preserved vegetables, the kind used in mui choy with pork belly and would like to try preserving some with fresh grown vegetables. Does anyone know how to preserve cabbage like the tianjin preserved vegetable?

Edited by jobean (log)

Nothing about this in The Joy of Pickling, but from what Wikipedia says, it sounds like it should be easy to make, possibly similar to Chinese cabbage sauerkraut with the addition of ginger. I might tweak it with fish sauce and garlic, but it would become a little like kimchi. I hope someone who has made it or at least had it can help you more than me.

• 2 months later...

I've seen things packaged as Tianjin PV that ended up being, variously, mustard greens, mustard tuber, or cabbage. I consider the cabbage the 'proper' TPV. I've seen them in both vacuum packs (not to be confused with the 'normal' preserved mustard greens) or more commonly, earthenware pots. I always go for the earthenware pot kind, like shown in the top row here.

It wouldn't occur to me to want to make my own. At $2.19 for 600 gr., and includes the folksy crock, and how much of this stuff can you eat?

As far as which kind of veg, the label on mine says "Tiensin Cabbage". The brand I used to buy was Great Wall, but I think they just changed the name because the crock and the preserved veg looks just the same, but without the "Great Wall" name molded onto the crock.

Monterey Bay area

BTW, a lot of recipes mention this, but it should be rinsed before using.

Curious. I frequently cook with this ingredient and have yet to rinse it as none of the recipes call for rinsing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't notice any adverse saltiness when I cook/use TPV's.