• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vineyard at Stockcross

Anyone been since Daniel Galmiche replaced John Campbell? They apparently lost their two stars "because of timing" (i.e. the inspectors didn't have the chance to assess it between Campbell's departure and Galmiche's start).

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

I will be interested to hear your report. He couldn't pull the punters at Cliveden and The Forbury Hotel went bankrupt for the same reason - good luck. :hmmm:

Edited by Pam Brunning (log)

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

• 2 weeks later...

When we made our room and dinner reservations for Friday night at the Vineyard, we didn't realise they were hosting their first annual Wine Fair the same weekend. However, when I noticed this on their website I was quite pleased, because I thought the place would be on top form. However, we left the following day with the impression that, on the restaurant front, either they had overstretched themselves or - worse if true - had neglected their non-wine-fair-guests.

Firstly, I must point out that we were most impressed by our room, which was an unmentioned upgrade to a lovely suite (and which for the price we paid was fantastic).

Pre-dinner drinks were fine. Most of, if not all, the staff are French, and charming (although it was extraordinary to hear a chap near us ask for a Pernod, and for the young woman serving - who certainly sounded French - ask him to spell it, and then return to announce that "Yes, they do serve it" (good lord, so does my local boozer)).

When we made our reservation about ten days earlier we were told that there were very few tables left. However, the place was almost empty, which leads me to think we were either misled, or, perhaps more likely, they heavily reduced the numbers of covers in the main restaurant in order to allow for the wine-dinner in the nearby function room.

Starters were foie gras with bitter chocolate (me) and pumpkin veloute for H. They were both good, although they arrived a couple of minutes before the sommelier poured my wine (I'd asked for by-the-glass recommendations for the two courses)- Riesling Spätlese, Graacher Himmelreich, J J Prüm.

Mains were Veal for H (which she polished off with little comment), and "Steamed fillet of John Dory, honey and chilli glaze, fennel, broad beans" for me. The latter is described inthis article as Galmiche's signature dish (don't let it be said I don't do my research). Now a signature dish should be an opportunity for a kitchen to show off their ideas, execution, consistency and ingredients, and not an excuse to take their eye off the ball. I can only conclude the latter had happened: the fish was overcooked, not quite warm enough and the sauce had a slight skin on it, which suggested it had spent too long on the pass. Meanwhile I had had to point out that I had not received my wine, and it again took a couple of minutes to find the sommelier (who was also charming, by the way) to pour my (lovely) 2006 Bourgogne Blanc, Domaine Leflaive.

We passed on dessert, and had poor coffee and nice petit-fours in the lounge. From there, we could hear, from the function room, what seemed like the hubbub and gaiety of a buzzing restaurant (where the wine-fair dinner was taking place). When the kitchen staff paraded out of the function room, followed by applause, and marched back to the kitchen (ignoring the "normal" diners in the main restaurant) it only confirmed our feeling of not being invited to the main party of the evening. Given that we venture out rarely, and that the meal cost £220 for two courses and five glasses of wine between us, this was not ideal. I wasn't going to make more of it, because we still had a lovely evening (we were there for an occasion, not a review) but this ain't the way to win stars back.

And ate an awful pie

Thank you for that - I am glad that you found out what I suspected. They have told us in the past when we have booked that they are nearly full and never are. I love this venue but mourn the fact that they don't seem to be able to get the staff - I am afraid we were not impressed with Campbell. We took guests there when he was there and it was an embarrassment. When are they going to find a good chef? :sad:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

I don't know this place at all, but I'm shocked at the prices. I see on the website that it is £60 for two courses - even places with Michelin stars can be less expensive than this. They are charging the same as Ramsay at Claridges and Petrus. If you paid £120 for your food, that means you paid £100 for five glasses of wine - £20 a shot! I hope it was good wine, and well matched... Ideas above their station?

Sufficient Harden's Guide reporters thought highly enough of The Vineyard at Stockcross to give it 56th place in yesterday's Sunday Times Food List- Britain's 100 Best Restaurants.

The Sunday Times online copy is hidden behind a paywall. Bloomberg published The Food List online at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-30/fat-duck-beaten-by-gidleigh-park-in-top-u-k-restaurant-list.html

The Sunday Times carries more information of restaurants on the list. The "Diners' Verdict" of The Vineyard seems somewhat lukewarm considering its league position: Daniel Galmiche's takeover of the stoves of this modern (" rather Hollywood") country-house hotel has yet to enable it really to square up against its top-price peers; 'one of the UK's best new-wine wine lists" is, however, an undisputed attraction.

The Vineyard made a post-stay request for feedback, and I gave them, effectively word-for-word, the post I made earlier in this thread. Their manager replied, very promptly, in exemplary, and reassuring, terms. I can do no better than quote his words here (for which I sought, and he gave, approval):

"Thank you for taking the time to send your comments following your recent stay. Whilst I am happy that you “had a lovely evening”, it saddens me that you on more than one occasion thought that there were two teams – normal and wine fair guests. This I can assure you was not what should have been portrayed and for this I can only offer my personal apologies.

I have passed your comments to both the Chef and Restaurant Manager, who have asked that I send their apologies too. With 24 covers in the restaurant, I would have expected the service to be impeccable, as our service teams had been split equally to accommodate both sets of diners. Indeed it was a very busy and successful service in the wine fair dinner, however, the kitchen brigade too had been split to ensure that our restaurant guests were looked after more, after all the restaurant is what we all have become so proud of.

I can assure you your points have been put to task and certainly will help in moving forward if we are to achieve greatness again. Far too often feedback is not given and without which how is a property to learn from their failings, lest we fall prey to resting on our laurels. I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and as a gesture would like to invite you back as my guests to dine (lunch or dinner) in order to showcase what I know the team are very good at and are consistent at achieving – clearly we missed something on your visit. I would ask that you contact me directly so as to afford my personal attentions."

One could ask no more, and I pay tribute to fantastic customer service.

And ate an awful pie